Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shanejackson
I know this is an old tread but I wanted to give a little update. I replaced the battery in the hummer and the problems stopped.... for a while. However when the weather cools down it comes back.
Do you still have the crappy OEM Battery Terminal connectors? Sounds like it to me.

If so, get rid of them ASAP and replace with a quality aftermarket set.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 AM

No I changed them out a few years ago. I still see the passlock light flashing every once in a while.... At least I don't have to sitting and waiting 10 min any more. And it always seemed to do it at the absolute worst time!

Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Okay, I have to fix this for my wife. She has been stuck in her truck several times in the last month or so. This morning she could not leave to go to work. I have read where several people have replaced the ignition switch but have never seen where anyone said this was a definite fix or not.

Has anyone swapped the ignition switch out and had it be the fix? Where did you wind up getting the switch from.
I have a 2007 I had the ignition switch replaced its not that.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM

Just happened to me last week - no start - wait 10min. Scary!

Would a light lube in cylinder or key help the lock cylinder, or is it just key or cylinder wear? Dry graphite?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Smile Passlock-No Start Ignition Found the problem to 10 minute wait

I found the problem for the delayed start on the Hummer after fixing the unneeded. I purchased my Hummer back in 2006 and had a remote start put on by the dealer. I've never had it upgraded or changed the solution was the remote alarm was malfunctioning causing the truck to not start at times. its been awhile since I had the new remote start I have no more problems. solution solved.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Post Hummer H3

Here we go again, update to what's going on now with my H3 2007. Shift Assembly went bad, couldn't get the key out of the ignition. dealer says the solution for this is to get a Shifter Assembly, couldn't move the gear at all key locked in ignition and gears would not shift. I waited awhile (hours) than I tried again and was able to start Hummer. Suspension Stability light came on was told I need a longitudinal excellimeter suspension, for suspension in vehicle. and last but not least my radio is shot now. The radio alone costs over 1000.00. looking at the costs still beats a payment every month for a new vehicle.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, I guess better late than never.
My '07 H3 has the passlock / 10 minute wait problem. This problem started for me about 3 months ago. I'm the original owner and have around 90k miles on my manual trans H3. I'm going to try replacing the passlock switch at the ignition. I found this D.I.Y. video on YouTube;
Just thought I would pass on the video.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM

The switch is 40 bucks and takes ten minutes to swap out the back half of it. Another one of those spare parts to keep on hand.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Default No start/ Passcode fix

Go to auto parts store buy new ignition switch,$70.00. Go home and remove the three Torx screws located under steering wheel shroud, it is a two piece unit that snaps together. Raise and lower steering wheel as needed to remove shroud. On left side of ignition switch you will find a black plastic unit about the size of a golf ball with an electrical connector on back side (engine side) remove connector. The passcode unit is held in place by two Phillips head screws. After they are removed and after disconnecting the battery turn the ignition key to the "on" position which will enable you to remove passcode unit. Take new ignition switch an using a large screwdriver rotate the cylinder lug ( about halfway into ignition switch housing (from the side where your key cylinder would be clockwise then passcode unit will pop off of ignition switch. plug in electrical connector and install unit on existing ignition switch with the two screws. 15 minutes, tops to do this swap. Hook up battery, jump into drivers seat. Your car must learn the new passcode lock or is it the other way around. 😳 Now try to start your engine "it won't start, DO NOT TURN OFF !!!!!! wait till lock indicator on dash stops flashing " the proverbial 10 minutes " Turn key to off position for five seconds then try to start again, it won't start, leave key on once again and repete sequence. After you do things correctly it will learn new passcode and start on the fourth attempt. 😎😜😂 I did swap three weeks ago and cured the problem. Have fun in your hassle free H3

Old 07-29-2017, 11:04 AM

This worked guys!!! Dont buy or order anything, i tried evrything that evryone recommended & nothing worked but this!!! Couldnt beleive it! After the third try, it fired rite up, no problem

Quick Reply: Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement