Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Painting the front skid plate and impact bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM

the airplane teeth would look cool, how about a kitty cat drawn across the whole vehicle with it's tail end as the tail pipe. LMAO

Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LilDeuceCoupe
I recently installed a chrome lower fascia grill with lights. I had to seemingly tear the whole front end off to get everything installed to my liking. I now see how easy you guys have got it to that point and just want to learn the quick way to touch up the discussed areas.
Low & behold, I have a pic. This is the passenger side front bumper mount bracket, the two holes on the left side are for 2 of the 4 bolts, the other 2 are on the driver side. Drop the skid plate and you will see where I am referring to.
Name:  DSC02232.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  83.9 KB

If you look at my pic with the inside of the bumper, see the angled metal bracket below each fog light, the outer 2 holes are where the bolts anchor through the above bumper mount bracket. The inner 2 are for the impact bar.

Oh heck............ just go read the beginning of this BA Bumper install by Tainter/Mutaint at CHO. Club HUMMER Off Road

Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM

actually, it was just 4 bolts that hold the bumper on. i was able to get a socket between the wheel well and the bolt to just loosen it then i used my fingers to get up in there to loosen it the rest of the way.

i have attached some pics of the bolts Deuce was asking about. just let me know if you need more clarification. i also took a pick of the painted impact bar. the bar looks great although for some reason the photo did not come out good becuz of the lighting. anyways, i totally cleaned the front end and removed bugs and leaves from inside and looks good as new now!

now im going to ask drtom if he can tell me how he was able to keep the screen mesh in place that he covered the radiator vents with to keep the bugs from getting in there therefore making it easy to clean.

im going to assemble the bumper and mount it today and take pics...
thanks for everyones input!

Attached Thumbnails Painting the front skid plate and impact bar-dsc01125.jpg   Painting the front skid plate and impact bar-dsc01127.jpg   Painting the front skid plate and impact bar-dsc01128.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I keep asking you guys with 08/09s to paint a WWII flying tiger set of teeth up there, but nobody will bite.

Doc, you buy the stickers or the paint and I will deliver an 08 silver "under bumper" to ya and run it proudly!

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned
Default how he was able to keep the screen mesh in place

once you put the screen in,,,its hard to move,,trust me,,just guess at the size , roll it,work it in and spread it out. it gets ALL the bugs/debris. nice clean rad next year.

oh it stops the mud 2,,,4 u mudders

Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

i got the screen up in there but i used the fiberglass screening. im guessing you used the metal/aluminum screen? thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM

came across my old thread and noticed i forgot to follow up with some pics of the painted impact bar and installed grille lights....

Attached Thumbnails Painting the front skid plate and impact bar-skid-plate-1-.jpg   Painting the front skid plate and impact bar-lower-grille-lights.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kauaineb
came across my old thread and noticed i forgot to follow up with some pics of the painted impact bar and installed grille lights....
Looks damn good!!!!! I just did in flat back because it takes a pretty good beating.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM

thanks man. yeah, im waiting to see how it takes the trails and im prepared for it to take a beating. when that happens, ill probably move to have it powdercoated black along with the rock sliders and UCP. the black grille looks great on your rig, im leaning towards that maybe in the future but kinda like that as being the only chrome piece on the truck. i wonder if leaving it chrome is better visually for other drivers?....

Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by kauaineb
thanks man. yeah, im waiting to see how it takes the trails and im prepared for it to take a beating. when that happens, ill probably move to have it powdercoated black along with the rock sliders and UCP. the black grille looks great on your rig, im leaning towards that maybe in the future but kinda like that as being the only chrome piece on the truck. i wonder if leaving it chrome is better visually for other drivers?....
I think you should get it done in gloss black to match your new front end!!!!

Quick Reply: Painting the front skid plate and impact bar