Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

P2101 - ugg!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Default P2101 - ugg!

***SOLVED***
Clift Notes - changed battery terminals and added additional ground wire. Problem seems solved.

I bought this 2006 I5 H3 a month ago.

I have been fighting with the P2101 code and reduced power.

I have replaced the battery

Cleaned the terminals and ends of the Battery cables (where they connect to the terminals)

Checked battery voltage while cranking (it is about 10.70 volts)

I have added an extra ground to the PCM

I have cleaned the brand new (PO looks to have replaced it very recently)

I have cleaned the connection to the TB

So if I clear the code before I start it it will most of the time start and run perfectly. However if I turn it off it will throw the P2101 code, if I try clearing it it throws the 2101. 30, and 1505 (not 100% sure that is the code will check it)

So what the heck? I have had it for an month and have not been able to drive it around yet. Feeling pretty frustrated. I have spent hours reading every thread I could find and do not know where to go from here.

I promise to keep this thread updated. So many threads I read never had a conclusion and that makes trying to find an answer so very hard.

Thank you all!

Last edited by Crispins; 09-02-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

You stated: "I have cleaned the brand new (PO looks to have replaced it very recently)"

Cleaned the brand new what?

If you "cleaned the ends of the Battery Cables" without replacing the crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors you wasted some time. The first mod done to every H3/H3T and older GMT 355s is replace the Battery Terminal Connectors with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Check the wiring harness to the TB for frays/cracks/damage and post up the correct codes so we can try to help further.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF.

You stated: "I have cleaned the brand new (PO looks to have replaced it very recently)"

Cleaned the brand new what?

If you "cleaned the ends of the Battery Cables" without replacing the crappy azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors you wasted some time. The first mod done to every H3/H3T and older GMT 355s is replace the Battery Terminal Connectors with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Check the wiring harness to the TB for frays/cracks/damage and post up the correct codes so we can try to help further.

Sorry I left out the word "Throttle Body"

The battery terminals are not the factory ones.

I have checked the wires going to the TB and it looks to be in great shape.

The code I get over and over is P2101

Old 08-14-2019, 03:19 PM

New throttle body relearned?

Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
New throttle body relearned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnEoMa80VY

Yes I have.

I can get throught he first part but after I turn it off it will come back on with the P2101 code and will not clear.

I cannot drive it over 44 MPH as it just won't do it.

I have ordered a new PCM and Throttle Body.

Hopefully one of those fixes it.

Going on 2 months now and still have not driven the truck around, getting pretty upset.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I check the wire harness real good today and it looks great

Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crispins
Yes I have.

I can get throught he first part but after I turn it off it will come back on with the P2101 code and will not clear.

I cannot drive it over 44 MPH as it just won't do it.

I have ordered a new PCM and Throttle Body.

Hopefully one of those fixes it.

Going on 2 months now and still have not driven the truck around, getting pretty upset.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I check the wire harness real good today and it looks great
Ideas?

Common Problems That Trigger the P2101 Code

• Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) assembly failure
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) failure
  • Throttle control motor failure
  • Wiring issue
You are just throwing parts at it! I have posted multiple times over the years, about checking connectors and wiring. Clean connectors with an electronic cleaner, and use a dielectric grease to protect the connection. Wiring could be damaged and a proper repair will correct the issue.
You now know, to go to the connectors at the pedal, throttle body, and pcm. Disconnect and clean with electronic cleaner. Let dry before reconnecting. In the meantime look at the wiring to the connectors.
There is a signal loss to the pcm, and a disconnect/reconnect at the component could temporarily correct the issue.
Since you have money to throw unnecessary parts at it, get yourself a power probe.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Thank you for this info and for trying to help me.

the parts I have bought are returnable so i am not too worried about it.

I did not know that the pedal could cause the P2101, I have been focused on the throttle body itself.

I will try resetting the pedal connector tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

I have inspected and cleaned the connector at the throttle body. I have reset each of the connectors at the PCM as well.

I am actually a pretty decent mechanic.

Throwing parts at something is not something I normally do.

I am a bit frustrated right now so that is why I have bought the parts to throw at it.

I have observed that the throttle body looks brand new and the PCM is not the original one so either sometime in the past those repairs were made or it was recently that the PO was having the issue and trying to fix it.

I bought the car from an auction and it was a Repo so I have no history on it.

Originally Posted by hummerz
Ideas?

Common Problems That Trigger the P2101 Code

• Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) assembly failure
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) failure
  • Throttle control motor failure
  • Wiring issue
You are just throwing parts at it! I have posted multiple times over the years, about checking connectors and wiring. Clean connectors with an electronic cleaner, and use a dielectric grease to protect the connection. Wiring could be damaged and a proper repair will correct the issue.
You now know, to go to the connectors at the pedal, throttle body, and pcm. Disconnect and clean with electronic cleaner. Let dry before reconnecting. In the meantime look at the wiring to the connectors.
There is a signal loss to the pcm, and a disconnect/reconnect at the component could temporarily correct the issue.
Since you have money to throw unnecessary parts at it, get yourself a power probe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMu2r0vcNiU

Old 08-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Also I have never used a power probe to check the wires, however, I do have a decent Multi-meter.

Is there a wire diagram I can follow to test the wires going to the Throttle Body from the PCM to check for breaks in the wires?

Or do you have another method I can use?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 PM

Would this power probe work to see if the wires are in good shape?

I know it is a cheaper one but hoping it would get the job done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Probe...cAAOSw-elcM4d3

Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crispins
Also I have never used a power probe to check the wires, however, I do have a decent Multi-meter.

Is there a wire diagram I can follow to test the wires going to the Throttle Body from the PCM to check for breaks in the wires?

Or do you have another method I can use?
http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/upl...iring-2006.pdf

Quick Reply: P2101 - ugg!