Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

P0128 - Thermostat or Coolant sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur Kill
Yes sir, understood.

Unfortunately, as the thread title implies, the truck is throwing a P0128 code and thereby, will not pass state inspection. Minimally, it is required that the thermostat be replaced, quite possibly the coolant sensor as well. But, I too subscribe to that old wisdom you speak of, but with a twist, "If it ain't broken, don't break it."

Modern cars sometimes need to be fixed when they ain't broken.

Now see,
If I'd read more closely I'd of noticed you placed po128 in the title. The easiest thing then is to start with the temp sensor and then the t-stat.
I've actually done both on my 07 H3. The temp sensor is in a goofy tight space so I cut out the side of a 5/8" spark plug socket as to facilitate easier replacement.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 PM

Did the t-stat about 2 weeks ago and the code has not returned.

It was a little bit of a hassle trying to complete the drive cycle, waiting for the readiness monitors to complete. The last 2 hanging up were the evap and the O2. I managed to get the O2 to go ready by racing up and down the highway for about 8 miles or so. The evap was still not ready when I went thru inspection but you are allowed ONE monitor to be incomplete.

So, it PASSED.

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Ditto. Use a Dremel and notch a 5/8 deep socket. Works well and makes the job easier

Old 06-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dogfan85
Ditto. Use a Dremel and notch a 5/8 deep socket. Works well and makes the job easier
Or use a crows foot.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

That BIG crows foot in this old thread looks to be the size for changing your oil filter????

Old 06-04-2021, 05:14 PM

Some mods required, remove the exhaust manifold, remove the heater core coolant line, cut a hole in the firewall, chop the head, then that crows foot should fit?

Last edited by hummerz; 06-04-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Thumbs up

Replaced the thermostat yesterday with the AC Delco 1511073 195 degree. It was a pain in the *** but got r done. Glad I checked this forum before hand as my H3 runs hotter than it previously did. Now a little above the middle line on the dummy gauge. Read were others experienced the same thing some GM changed the stat. I would have been freaked out if I didn’t read about it here. PS, ditched those stupid damn spring clips in favor of the old style screw clamps. Thanks for all the knowledgeable folks on this forum!

Old 06-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Replaced the thermostat yesterday with the AC Delco 1511073 195 degree. It was a pain in the *** but got r done. Glad I checked this forum before hand as my H3 runs hotter than it previously did. Now a little above the middle line on the dummy gauge. Read were others experienced the same thing some GM changed the stat. I would have been freaked out if I didn’t read about it here. PS, ditched those stupid damn spring clips in favor of the old style screw clamps. Thanks for all the knowledgeable folks on this forum!
The bigger the PIA, the more $$$ you saved, diy! Any war injuries, to show off, during the process? Btw, monitor coolant system to make sure system is bled. Couple daily checks on the tank level, cold. Nice work.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
The bigger the PIA, the more $$$ you saved, diy! Any war injuries, to show off, during the process? Btw, monitor coolant system to make sure system is bled. Couple daily checks on the tank level, cold. Nice work.
just a few scratches here and there and a bruised left hand but not too bad. I do have a question though. I don’t think there’s any bleeder valves so do I just take the cap off the radiator and run it till it’s warmed up and bubbling out. Then replace the cap? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:32 PM

just a few scratches here and there and a bruised left hand but not too bad. I do have a question though. I don’t think there’s any bleeder valves so do I just take the cap off the radiator and run it till it’s warmed up and bubbling out. Then replace the cap? Thanks in advance.
No, check cold. Open the cap(cold) or monitor here:

Quick Reply: P0128 - Thermostat or Coolant sensor?