Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

P0017 Error Code Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Default P0017 Error Code Mystery

I have a 2016 H3 with almost 300K miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I had some work done for a rough idle and the shop replace the sensor that controls the camshaft timing to the distributor timing...sorry that's as technical as I can remember. The check engine was on when I picked it up and the mechanic said that it would go out on its own which it did.

Unfortunately 1300 miles later the engine seized and died.

I just a new Jasper rebuilt engine put in it including ALL new parts and the shop of course cleared out the error codes. Now when the truck cold starts it runs fine until it warms up and then when you come to a stop it dies. It will restart fine but obviously this is a problem. The mechanic said that it keeps putting P0017 back in as pending and is at a lost as all the potential parts that could be causing this error code were replaced with the new engine.

Any ideas anybody? Please help!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:09 PM

if he transferred the crank and cam position sensors from the old engine they might be failing when hot. but it would not necessarily only die when you come to a stop. if there is a stumble before dying I would check and clean the mass airflow sensor first before replacing any more parts. also make sure that the air ducts are not cracked and or not seated properly onto the throttle body. any air making it past the mas air flow sensor will cause issues.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:12 PM

Before you destroy a JASPER engine, Check the wiring harness & connectors and properly repair. One of the most common causes of P0017 in any vehicle is going to be wiring issues. You’ll want to inspect the wiring harness for visible damage. A lot of the harness leading to and from the Crank/Cam sensors is going to be exposed to hot exhaust and vibration. This is a great place to start diagnosing P0017 in your H3. It’s quick and easy to do this before moving on to the sensors themselves.
Make sure to check the harness where it plugs into both sensors as well. GL

Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
if he transferred the crank and cam position sensors from the old engine they might be failing when hot. but it would not necessarily only die when you come to a stop. if there is a stumble before dying I would check and clean the mass airflow sensor first before replacing any more parts. also make sure that the air ducts are not cracked and or not seated properly onto the throttle body. any air making it past the mas air flow sensor will cause issues.
Air leak is NOT going to cause the engine to go off timing.

Last edited by hummerz; 08-23-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:55 PM

the timing issue was on the blown engine. the new symptom is shutting off at a stop. so why shouldn't he check for a dirty or leaking MAF. it costs nothing to check and is right at hand.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Olfe
I have a 2016 H3 with almost 300K miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I had some work done for a rough idle and the shop replace the sensor that controls the camshaft timing to the distributor timing...sorry that's as technical as I can remember. The check engine was on when I picked it up and the mechanic said that it would go out on its own which it did.

Unfortunately 1300 miles later the engine seized and died.

I just a new Jasper rebuilt engine put in it including ALL new parts and the shop of course cleared out the error codes. Now when the truck cold starts it runs fine until it warms up and then when you come to a stop it dies. It will restart fine but obviously this is a problem. The mechanic said that it keeps putting P0017 back in as pending and is at a lost as all the potential parts that could be causing this error code were replaced with the new engine.
what does it mean when your car cranks but wont start? Visit this link for more info if you need.
Any ideas anybody? Please help!
It could be indicator that timing chain has stretched.