PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on when to plasti dip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Default opinions on when to plasti dip

I really want o dip the wheels on the h3 cause I am not a fan of silver wheels, I've always had polished, chrome, or black wheels from painting or aftermarket. I actually like the stock wheels of the hummers just not silver, I'd like chrome or to dip mine and since I don't have the cash to buy chrome I'll be going the plasti dip. now my question is should I hold off until I get new tires, it prolly won't be until spring at the very earliest if that or can I go ahead and do them now? from the videos I've watch if the tire shop were to scratch them I can easily just peel off and respray them.

your thoughts??

thanks
-Staggs

Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 AM

also does advanced, o Reilly's, or the zone carry this stuff?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM

Powder-coating is the best way to go for black wheels. I've seen a ton of these and haven't seen any issues when up against some pretty good abuse.

Chrome-dipping is an option, though it feels like those shops are getting fewer and fewer since the process is pretty horrible on the environment.

In either case the question will be the plastic cap - w/ black wheels you can paint to match (either gloss or matte) - but the chrome route is a little trickier. We would have them dipped, then purchase the factory chrome cap that came with the 7-spoke wide chrome wheels.

So, availability of the chrome cap may limit your choices a bit.

They came out with an 'chrome' version of the narrow spoke (standard) wheel - but even those weren't as 'bright' as when you dipped the whole wheel.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 PM

I wasn't asking any of that? I was asking about plasti dipping them

Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 AM

If your going to be driving on gravel roads do not use it on your rims. If your just doing regular driving then go ahead and dip them. It will hold up really good.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by staggs
I wasn't asking any of that? I was asking about plasti dipping them
I re-read your post - at quick glance it appeared you were in a quandary on what finish you wanted.

People appear to have had mixed results with the longevity of the plasti-dip. My guess is a tire-mounter will probably remove some of the finish leaving you with either:

a) A product that is 'easily peeled off' to just re-spray w/ another $10 can-o-stuff (and if it comes off that easily - do you really want it on your wheels?)

or

b) A product that is not easily peeled off, and you end up w/ a strange texture around the edges (like a football helmet that's been repainted a few times).

I mentioned power-coating since it's pretty darn cheap (I've seen $40-$60/wheel) - which is about a month's worth of gas in an H3. You may even save some labor expense if you did the tire upgrade and wheel treatment at the same time.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Ive plastidipped some wheels worked fine if you get a little chip just spray a lil touch up on and go on with your life....worse comes to worse peel the **** off

Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM

I would go ahead and dip them, but plan on dipping them again when you get new tires. Plasti dip isn't a permanent solution by any means. I have my wheels dipped, but that is a band aid until I can find a set of tacticals or steelies.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM

I've plastidipped mine a while back including, fuel chrome door, and the center part of my hood to keep the sun glare off.

It's easy to do and easy to touch up. Have fun with it and if you like the look and find out you want a more durable finish, then get them powder coated. If not then do what others have mentioned and just peel it off. Home depot carries the stuff for about $6-7 can.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 AM

is it in the paint area of home depot? that's one of those things that lest seem to fit into a specific department like velveeta cheese at the supermarket. also anyone know if lowes carries it, I actually have a gift card for there.

also I've read many posts about the stuff but any special recommendations for applying it?

Quick Reply: opinions on when to plasti dip