Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

this ones for any of you older guys its an 08 alpha

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM

its def not the gas. i only use top tier fuel and it doesnt matter where its from. does it upon fillup i mean simple feather of the pedal gets it goin no problem with that in mind im almost wondering if the itv is going out

Old 04-06-2019, 04:23 PM

I also have an 08 H3 Alpha with really low miles. Has been running perfect for a few years with no issues.
We were planning to have a road trip in the truck today and it started up and immediately died. I could not hear the fuel pump and assumed the worst.
I checked and there is no power to the Fuel pump fuse or circuit. Jumped power directly to the relay output pin and it fired right up and ran perfect.
It appears that I have had my first Passlock failure and it will not recover. Tried all of the (wait 10 seconds with fast beeps, let the slow beeps stop, then start)
trick techniques and it will not energize the fuel pump circuit.

Searched around and can see the entire ignition module, which includes the passkey module, but cannot find the module itself. Already took it out, checked the connections,
and reinstalled, all to no avail.

Is there an easy way to bypass the module, once a for all, and avoid future issues?

Any guidance for the new guy?

Old 04-07-2019, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity26
I also have an 08 H3 Alpha with really low miles. Has been running perfect for a few years with no issues.
We were planning to have a road trip in the truck today and it started up and immediately died. I could not hear the fuel pump and assumed the worst.
I checked and there is no power to the Fuel pump fuse or circuit. Jumped power directly to the relay output pin and it fired right up and ran perfect.
It appears that I have had my first Passlock failure and it will not recover. Tried all of the (wait 10 seconds with fast beeps, let the slow beeps stop, then start)
trick techniques and it will not energize the fuel pump circuit.

Searched around and can see the entire ignition module, which includes the passkey module, but cannot find the module itself. Already took it out, checked the connections,
and reinstalled, all to no avail.

Is there an easy way to bypass the module, once a for all, and avoid future issues?

Any guidance for the new guy?
I have a brand new passlock disable module from New Rockies I would sell you for a good deal. I had passlock disabled via HPTuners directly in the ECM/BCM, though I am not technical enough to know if both approaches disable it the same way, but I can tell you that the New Rockies module is much less expensive than an HPTuners kit. Here's a link:

https://newrockies.com/

PM me if you're interested.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:10 PM

I don't have an alpha but i have a couple of ideas. Since messing with the throttle makes it start and it stumbles a little, you could have a lean or rich problem after warm up. Possibly your purge solenoid is getting stuck open creating a vacuum leak. Another thought is that your coolant temp sensor is out of whack and reading a temperature that is lower than the actual engine temp or low coolant. These are fairly easy, cheap and simple checks. These are just ideas and may not result in a resolution to your problem.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Banshee32g
ive done searched the forums but couldnt find anything exactly like what im experiencing. this is completely random 110%. ill jump in fire it up everything is great get to the store or gas station fill up or get groceries come back out go to crank and just keeps cranking no start. keep getting evap system high flow code once in a while. but regardless thing will crank and crank no start. now i go to crank it and feather the accelerator and it will.sputter for a slight second then start right up run smooth as if it were new. its bad ive been a mechanic for 12 years and im freakin lost. cleaned maf checked maf connections changed air filter checked fuel pressure all good. im lost. i wouldnt think evap control high flow wouldnt have much to do with this issue although i could be wrong. anyone seen or heard of this before? like i said some days it does it some days it doesnt. its throwin me for a loop. ive owned many vehicled with 5.3L some with over 250k miles never seen this issue. almost forgot. no cel either. hook up scantool and no codes even stored. i thought maybe passlock but wait 10 mins and still the same not to mention no passlock light. only thng thatll get it going is feathering the accelerator. tps sensor maybe? coolant temp sensor maybe thinking its too cold and overfueling. just aint makin sense

Sorry to dig this back up but same thing on my 09 h3t alpha starter kept cranking and wouldn’t start until I stepped on the glass and it sputtered but started up. Kept doing it randomly and one day it kept doing it, let it sit over night and gone. Just curious if you fixed it in case mine decides to do it again.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Join the club. I replaced the passkey sensor and programmed it and was exactly the same. One day, it stopped starting completely. The only code was indicating that the fuel pump circuit had no power.
I had to move the vehicle, so I "jumped" the circuit and supplied 12v power to where the relay is and it started and ran perfect. I finally wired it up like that permanently, bypassing the BCM. No regrets so far, and no more codes. Starts and runs 100% of time.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 PM

Take out your ignition switch (just the plastic contact block, not the entire switch). There are videos on YouTube on how to just remove the contact block. They should all be the same color. Below is a picture of mine. Pins 2 and 4 are darker. Pin 2 is the power to the switch and Pin 4 feeds a signal to the BCM. If yours are discolored consider replacing this piece. I got mine from Amazon for ~$40.00.
Idling rough at startup was just one of the issues replacing this has fixed for me.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Default Get gas won't start alpha

Original fuel pump? They get weird when about to crap out. Tech 2 can show fuel pump voltage see if it changes when you crack gas cap. If it does pump is going bad.
Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Clean the Throttle Body with Throttle Body Cleaner and use quality gasoline ONLY. Also look at your air filter. When was the last time the air filter was changed??

Personally, IMHO WD40 is out date garbage. If you want to clean an electrical connection, use Electrical Contact Cleaner. Anyways, check the wiring to the TB for frays, cracks etc...
Originally Posted by atvspeed4
Visually inspect the metal EVAP line that goes from the tank along the driverside frame rail. They are infamous for rotting out and even a few small holes will cause that intermediate code. Also, the seating surface for the gas cap rusts and can cause the same issue (we have dealt with both over the past 6 months. We bought a fogging machine to more accurately diagnose these issues but I know most people do not have access to that.

The struggle is, without the right testing equipment its a guessing game unfortunately.