Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

One Headlight Dim

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 04:46 PM
Default One Headlight Dim

Hi Everyone,

My 2007 Hummer H3 has a dim driver headlight. I've changed the bulb, ran a second ground wire, and put in a new Headlight relay, and it is still dim. I'll check the voltage when my son gets back with it. It almost acts like the drive side is in DRL mode. Both 10 amp fuses have power, but when I pull the driver headlight fuse the driver headlight stays on, all be in Dim. When I pull the Pass Headlight fuse the both go out all together.

Any help on what to check would be appreciated.

Kevin

Old 06-13-2023, 05:51 PM

Clean the connector contacts!

Old 06-14-2023, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. MOVED this from the New Member Section as it is strictly for Hello/intros and NOT Tech questions.

How old is your 2007? When automobiles age, electrical contacts and efficiency deteriorate, every body with something that old needs a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner.

You still trying to use the Crappy Azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors? If so, everybody here knows the routine. Hack 'em off and replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Old 06-14-2023, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

How old is your 2007? When automobiles age, electrical contacts and efficiency deteriorate, every body with something that old needs a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner.
Doesn't have to be old to fail! Last year I purchased a 40V Axial Blower – Kit "new/open box" on da'bay for $40 shipped. Battery & charger works perfect, yet the blower would only work intermittently. I took the case apart(12screws), grabbed a can of CRC, and sprayed the switch/board contacts. Never a problem since, and this thing really BLOWS!

Last edited by hummerz; 06-14-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:10 AM

Where did you add your additional ground wire? Before or after the HI/LO relay? If you added before (as in right after the bulb), that would cause the light to stay on after pulling the drivers light fuse (you'd be back-feeding from the other light through the one ground into the other ground). I can't see a way for the drivers side to stay on after pulling the fuse otherwise. The passenger side could, due to the daytime running lights.

Try all of your tests again after pulling fuse 39 (daytime running lights). That would eliminate that circuit.

After that, based on your finding that the drivers light stays on after pulling the fuse, I would have to say there are broken/crossed wires somewhere in the harness.

A big second on the CRC electronic cleaner. I had a problem (twice now) where the dash lights didn't come on after starting. The fuse is good, but it needed to be sprayed and cleaned (just removing and reinserting did NOT work).

Old 07-20-2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by brothapig
Where did you add your additional ground wire? Before or after the HI/LO relay? If you added before (as in right after the bulb), that would cause the light to stay on after pulling the drivers light fuse (you'd be back-feeding from the other light through the one ground into the other ground). I can't see a way for the drivers side to stay on after pulling the fuse otherwise. The passenger side could, due to the daytime running lights.

Try all of your tests again after pulling fuse 39 (daytime running lights). That would eliminate that circuit.

After that, based on your finding that the drivers light stays on after pulling the fuse, I would have to say there are broken/crossed wires somewhere in the harness.

A big second on the CRC electronic cleaner. I had a problem (twice now) where the dash lights didn't come on after starting. The fuse is good, but it needed to be sprayed and cleaned (just removing and reinserting did NOT work).

I added a ground right at the headlight. I cut the ground wire and hooked a jumper on it and ran a screw in the radiator support. It is still dim.

I need to check the voltage tonight. I'll report back. Is it possible to have one headlight in DRL mode and one in Regular? They both come on in DRL, but the driver one is still dim. I'll spray some contact cleaner on it also.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:03 PM

Time to check continuity and voltage drop for each of the headlight wires. Individually lol. Back probe each wire at the light socket (the back of the light housing) and then connect the other end of the probe at the fuse or the Relay respectively. I'm guessing you got the green crustie growing.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:04 PM

Oh and putting an extra ground sometimes can cause problems. It is referred to as a ground loop and I've seen some crazy azz stuff happen when this occurs.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:47 PM

Thanks. I'll check that this weekend.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:49 PM

good Idea. I'll check that. I was showing 12.4 volts at the bulb and then 13.5volts when I started it.

Do you know where the ground hooks to the chassis for that headlight?

Quick Reply: One Headlight Dim