Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil sucking out PCV ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
And, you can clean out the Crankcase baffle after removing the Valve Cover. So when your "mechanic" says can't be repaired, tell him I call BS. Others have done it.
Thank Doc. Any links you can share here? I am mechanically inclined and will do it myself if need be.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM

You need to clean the orifice, parts /brake/carb etc cleaner. Soak them and let the gunk dissolve, check with air to make sure clear.. Can also remove the plates to clean the chambers, then rtv back on, without blocking the passages.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gwarrend
Thank Doc. Any links you can share here? I am mechanically inclined and will do it myself if need be.
I remember a thread on that somewhere, not even sure if it was this forum.... could have been a Colorado/Canyon or other H3 Forum as I read through the old engine repair stuff on occasion. But.... I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Sheet) so I cannot recall where or when..... but some guy took his apart, cleaned it out using spray solvent, had some pics, others followed that route. Really, there is like almost a wad of gauze in the baffle, if it gets soaked full of oily crud, it gets blocked. If you had to open it up and gut it, you could probably use an aftermarket breather filter up top.

It's Friday, I got a few things more to do, already turned down the heat, and I am heading home where my fridge has some cold brews waiting.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:19 PM

The PCV orifice tube restricts the flow rate of the blow-by gases using a 2.5 mm (0.098 in) orifice located in the camshaft cover tube. If abnormal operating conditions arise, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to back flow through the crankcase ventilation fresh air tube into the air cleaner resonator in order to be consumed by normal combustion.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Old 01-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Thanks HUMMERZ and Doc. I spent part of my day today removing the valve cover to clean the baffles. Interesting to find that they were not blocked. I could blow air through them when the cover was off. See pics here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XkuaB4UaNnkLxZQY7

Anything else I should be looking at with the valve cover off? I recall reading somewhere that there are oil return routes that can get blocked. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by gwarrend
Thanks HUMMERZ and Doc. I spent part of my day today removing the valve cover to clean the baffles. Interesting to find that they were not blocked. I could blow air through them when the cover was off. See pics here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XkuaB4UaNnkLxZQY7

Anything else I should be looking at with the valve cover off? I recall reading somewhere that there are oil return routes that can get blocked. Thanks.
Nice work! Did you verify air flow through the orifices to the top of the cover?

Old 01-10-2021, 09:33 PM

I did not check the air flow before removing the valve cover. My mechanic said he tried with a compressor and it was blocked. What is odd ...I took the cover off and could blow air through both orfices no problem. I took off the metal covers and cleaned everything anyway. My gut has me thinking I have some other issue.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 PM

Check air inlet tube from the resonator for a restriction.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:54 PM

Thanks Hummerz. Can you provide more specific details?

Are you talking about the tube from the valve cover to the airbox on top? Or an exhaust resonator? My H3 has a muffler delete in case that helps.

Quick Reply: Oil sucking out PCV ?