Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Oil Change & Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:01 AM
Default Oil Change & Tranny Fluid

Was I over charged? I feel like I was.

I got an engine oil change, regular oil, and a tranny fluid drain and fill with new filter and gasket.

it came to $320 cdn

Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 AM

About $240 USD.
Sounds about right to do that work. Where did you get the work done?

Once you start wheeling it learn how the H3 wheels and that the skinny pedal is not the answer or it will get more and more expensive.
With ANY vehicle that has 150,000+ miles on it and no maintenance history you will be paying a whole lot in repair bills until you learn to do your own wrenching and you will only have to pay for fluid and the parts.

Originally Posted by MadeJust
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I recently purchased an '08 with around 230-250k (odometer stuck at 236,973). I'd like to do some light off roading.. no boulders or deep muddy waters or anything like that.
So I'm wondering if it's tough enough to handle it with stock suspension, or is there a chance something could break since it's higher mileage? I just want be sure before I venture out onto some trails.
I've never done any kind of off roading before.. this is the first vehicle I've owned that is even remotely capable of it.

Last edited by TAINTER; 10-16-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. Glad I didn’t overpay.

I do some of the work myself, I just replaced the caliper, rotors, and pads in the front, and freed up the parking brakes so it could pass the safety, but some stuff I just don’t feel like doing, especially fluids.

I was actually going to have them do the transfer case and differential, but I figure I’ll do those myself since they’re really easy.

But yeah I hear ya, I need to do more work myself or it will definitely start to add up quick.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:47 PM

Just had trans changed 2 weeks ago. Where I supplied the parts and fluid.

Came to $220. so your bill sound in the ball park.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:05 PM

Was I over charged? I feel like I was.

I got an engine oil change, regular oil, and a tranny fluid drain and fill with new filter and gasket.

it came to $320 cdn
That's only around $240 USD for both services.
I would be more concerned with the fluid used to refill, not the price paid.
6qt Dexos1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil/Filter alone, is around $60usd($80cad)
Trans filter/gasket kit with 5 quarts of Dex VI retails for around $120usd ($160cad)
+labor.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:35 PM

Well the thing is, when I asked about it a couple days prior, I asked for a price for engine oil, trans, differential, and transfer case. I was quoted $300. On their price list, they showed oil change from $35, and $129 for trans. Both of those are including oil/fluid, so $320 just seemed a little high.

I’m pretty sure it’s because I was quoted $280 (before tax) when I was asking about a flush and fill, which I decided against. It’s ok, it’s done. I don’t think I’ll go back. They’re not my regular place I go to anyway. I have someone I go to who I trust and know he’ll always give me fair prices.

One plus is when the tech came out, he said there was no trace of metal filings, not even on the magnet, so that was good to hear.

Last edited by MadeJust; 10-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:56 PM

Well the thing is, when I asked about it a couple days prior, I asked for a price for engine oil, trans, differential, and transfer case. I was quoted $300. On their price list, they showed oil change from $35, and $129 for trans. Both of those are including oil/fluid, so $320 just seemed a little high.

I’m pretty sure it’s because I was quoted $280 (before tax) when I was asking about a flush and fill, which I decided against. It’s ok, it’s done. I don’t think I’ll go back. They’re not my regular place I go to anyway. I have someone I go to who I trust and know he’ll always give me fair prices.

One plus is when the tech came out, he said there was no trace of metal filings, not even on the magnet, so that was good to hear.
"ON THEIR PRICE LIST>>>FROM" is the key word. Huge variance in cost in fluids required, per manufacturer. Their "FROM" could be the cost of an old gm/ford/chrysler etc.. You got a great price, if and only if, they refilled with Dexos1 in the engine and DexVI in the transmission. If not, premature wear, and not such a good price.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
"ON THEIR PRICE LIST>>>FROM" is the key word. Huge variance in cost in fluids required, per manufacturer. Their "FROM" could be the cost of an old gm/ford/chrysler etc.. You got a great price, if and only if, they refilled with Dexos1 in the engine and DexVI in the transmission. If not, premature wear, and not such a good price.
They used regular engine oil. My thought with going with regular was that it was sitting for months. I’m going to drive for a little while, then have it drained and filled with synthetic.

The trans fluid, they better have used Dexron VI, since I told the service advisor to use it. I’ll check my invoice to see if it says. If not, I’ll call them for clarification.

Last edited by MadeJust; 10-19-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:03 PM

Not a bad deal.,,,I must have got a really super deal at Penzoil with multiple coupons...got all the drivertrain fluids with synthetics and oil change for I think it was $287l last March. I was super happy!

Old 10-19-2020, 06:06 PM

They used regular engine oil. My thought with going with regular was that it was sitting for months. I’m going to drive for a little while, then have it drained and filled with synthetic.
Keep your receipt. They should know that's the wrong oil, yet installed it, therefore can be liable, to whatever happens to your engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Change & Tranny Fluid