Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

need help-my2009 Hummer H3 clunking noise below the hand rest at particular elevation

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 01:57 PM
Exclamation need help-my2009 Hummer H3 clunking noise below the hand rest at particular elevation

Hey guyz,
I have a 2009 Hummer H3 3.7ltr, currently on 210k kms. Issue with my hummer is when driving at the particular elevation on highway at a speed of 110 kmph I get a clunking sound from under my handrest, looks like the sound is coming from the transfer case. so I showed it to a mechanic who is specialized in hummer repairs and all but he was unable to rectify the issue. Things what he had done are as below.
1. removed the transfer case and replaces with a refurbished one - (after that test driven and still the problem continued to show)
2. removed and dissembled the transmission and rebuild it - (found no issue with it)
3. replaced the front drive shaft as it showed signs of wear out .
4. checked the rear differential to see if there were any worn out teeth's, but could not find any.
After all this he couldn't solve the issue.
Eagerly waiting for your advise..

Old 02-24-2021, 03:46 PM

Does your A$$ hurt? Check the front diff bushings.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:30 PM

Will check that too ..

Old 02-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Never a good idea to throw parts at a problem until you actually diagnose what it is so it can be fixed.

Definitely LOOK at the front differential bushings, there are three, they rot, crack and allow excessive movement.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:41 PM

"...a mechanic who is specialized in hummer repairs..."

Yeah, doubtful. More like "specialized in making people's wallets lighter".

Old 02-27-2021, 10:10 AM

Well the place where I live they aren't any good mechanics to look into the matter as I said before many of them looked into it and could not find the issue. I will look into the front differential bushings as you said but I would like what are the symptoms of a bad front differential bushing as recently I had replaced the upper and lower arm bushings as it was worn out..

Old 02-27-2021, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by rajeshmohan1982
Well the place where I live they aren't any good mechanics to look into the matter as I said before many of them looked into it and could not find the issue. I will look into the front differential bushings as you said but I would like what are the symptoms of a bad front differential bushing as recently I had replaced the upper and lower arm bushings as it was worn out..
Principal trained and certified mechanics and technicians who keep up-to-date with the latest developments are employed. Factory training programs are held on the premises regularly.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:36 AM
Default Location of the front differential bushjngs

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Never a good idea to throw parts at a problem until you actually diagnose what it is so it can be fixed.

Definitely LOOK at the front differential bushings, there are three, they rot, crack and allow excessive movement.
could you please show me the pictures of the bush located as you had mentioned.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rajeshmohan1982
could you please show me the pictures of the bush located as you had mentioned.
You are obviously on the internet, but oblivious to how to do a GOOGLE search?

GOOGLE: H3 Front Differential Bushings and LOOK at all the images that come up.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:07 AM

Thanks for the info..
would like to let you know the mentioned bush is in good state..also I had test driven with the front drive shaft disconnected with 4hi locked and loaded the SUV with passengers.But the same clunking sound is still there.
On straight it does not make the sound..
it happens only when driving above 100 kmph on elevated highways (high or low slopes)
or when driving in graded roads

Quick Reply: need help-my2009 Hummer H3 clunking noise below the hand rest at particular elevation