Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 11:41 AM
Default Mpg

Just got gas. $2.52 per gallon. 87.octane. MPG -17.32 since last fill up. I consider that.pretty darn good for a 2007 model 3.7 L engine. 78,503 miles. Thinking about replacing the original radio with a NAV/Radio and back up camera.

Old 11-29-2023, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

That is some darn good mpg for sure.

Since you have to run and wire for the backup camera, I would not even think of using an old OEM factory Nav Unit. Go with a new Aftermarket head unit that has camera capability and use your phone linked to that for Nav functions. The Nav displays at the head unit, always up to date and no Nav disc to replace.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:14 PM

Thanks Doc Olds! I work hard on keeping my H3X running well. As for your mind comments about the replacement unit...I totally agree with what you offered. Definitely aftermarket and I suspect two products are leading the way at this time: Pioneer back up camera and SONY NAV/Radio. I would consider any suggestions at this point. Thanks again for your consideration! This is an excellent group of people.

Old 11-30-2023, 04:33 PM

Definitely good mileage. My '08 Alpha with the Off-Road pkg consistently got 15mpg even, regardless of the type of driving (city, hwy, etc) when I had the 285s on it. Installed 315 BFGs, and it dropped to 14.5mpg. Still not too bad with 170K miles on it. Of course, I'm in CA, so I'm paying closer to $4.50/gal, so...

Old 11-30-2023, 08:53 PM
Default Tire treads can impact your fuel economy

Originally Posted by Golden Hurricane
Just got gas. $2.52 per gallon. 87.octane. MPG -17.32 since last fill up. I consider that.pretty darn good for a 2007 model 3.7 L engine. 78,503 miles. Thinking about replacing the original radio with a NAV/Radio and back up camera.

Worn tires, increase revolutions per mile, reduce rolling resistance, and increase odometer/speedometer calculations.

Old 12-01-2023, 09:50 AM

Hummerz,
I do not see the point of your post.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:38 AM

Hummerz,

If you are implying that my tires are worn out...they were installed the day before I purchased the H3 in Lubbock, Texas. Mileage was: 74,515. Today: 78,503. That's only 3,988 miles since they were brand new. I simply cannot imagine how you "assumed" these tires are worn!
Your assumption certainly does not vindicate your pontificating post! Yes, you are a knowledgeable person when it comes to Hummers...but, you sometimes seem to be looking for the chance to jump on a post for purely personal reasons.
It is a sad state when a member posts information that is viewed as a TARGET for immediate reprisal.

Old 12-01-2023, 01:28 PM
RVR

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Since you have to run and wire for the backup camera...
The back-up camera was an option with the '08s like mine, so the wiring should be in the harness. GM is not known for unnecessarily duplicating parts.

What I don't know is if it started with the '07s, as obviously that is when a whole lot of major changes and upgrades took place.

Old 12-01-2023, 02:14 PM

RVEThank you for your kind reply. I believe that the back up camera was part of the 2008 package. I have not heard of any 07 owners with factory back up cameras. Regardless, I would not use the existing wires if they are already installed. I will insist that the professional installers I use will be 100% responsible for the system working as it should. When I get ready to move forward, I will begin a new thread with the information and pics.
THanks again!

Old 12-01-2023, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RVR
The back-up camera was an option with the '08s like mine, so the wiring should be in the harness. GM is not known for unnecessarily duplicating parts.

What I don't know is if it started with the '07s, as obviously that is when a whole lot of major changes and upgrades took place.
07 did not offer back up cameras. That started in 08 with those big goofy rear view mirror things. Hummer H3 Reverse Camera Review

My 09 Alpha Off Road did not have that option (the only option it did not have and I did not want) and there was zero in the harness for it. It has a back up camera I wired in directly above the hitch receiver in the bumper up to my Alpine ilX-W650 which can also run a front camera, and turn either/both on/off.

I have been told you can buy the rear view mirror w/ camera view screen, plug it in replacing the regular rear view mirror and run a wire supplying power/ground from the camera pin in the mirror to view the added camera and it works???

Last edited by Doc Olds; 12-01-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Mpg