Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Modified Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Cool Modified Exhaust

Has anyone tried to modify their current exhaust by removing the resonator or replacing the muffler with a universal fit aftermarket one?

Comparing the stock exhaust system with some of the after market systems I don't see that much difference (other than the construction of the muffler) that warrents the big $$.

The one thing I don't want in any exhaust system is the monotonous drone at cruising speed. My H3 is my daily driver and we also travel from Ohio to the Outer Banks of NC which is about a 13 hour comute.

I read in a few threads that the Corsa exhaust system is pretty quiet, however a little on the pricey side.

Thanx for you input.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM

good luck for cruising extended periods at a time lol you'll wish you never did it, once you do imo

Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

There are pleanty of guys I know that completely removed the muffler and replaced it with a tail pipe facing down right at the bumper (to maintain departure clearance). They say it made only a minor sound change in regular driving, but lets them scream when you mash it.

I have the MagnaFlow CAT back, and really dig it. My next one will have the same thing.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 AM

You pretty much ruled out any of the aftermarket cat-backs with the statement you don't want the monotonous drone. Before my H3T I had a 01 F-150 King Ranch Supercrew and I had a Flowmaster on it I loved it but my wife hated it(had it on the truck when we met though), we drove 2400 miles roundtrip she wanted me to rip the thing out once we got back but I never did.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:20 PM

Yea, I know what you mean I put a full Magnaflow cat back on my 2000 Subaru Forester. It sounded great, however the drone drove us nuts when we went on vacation. I don't like the idea of shelling out big bucks for something I might regret doing. Hence, the reason I was thinking of just doing a muffler replacement. Flowmaster makes a 50 series SUV and a 70 series which look to be on the quiet side. Talking to a mechanic at a local muffler shop, he suggested I try using a stock Camaro muffler.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Exclamation

I have the aftermarket header system, Magnaflow exhaust, and installed a downpipe in replacement of the catalytic converter. The downpipe lowered the sound of the other two and increased my gas mileage. Idk by how much, but i noticed a gas saving difference. Only bad thing is check engine light is always on saying exhaust is rich.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM

have fun with the inspection on that one is she gonna be a trailer queen now?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Sounds like your looking for a cutout maybe. I had one on the TA and loved it. They make electronic cutouts now that you can control from in the cab. The one I had was 3 wing nuts on studs. I also think that a manual cutout can be converted to an elextronic one later on. The mounting flange is the same.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by SCOT
have fun with the inspection on that one is she gonna be a trailer queen now?
its called going to my normal LA shady smog inspector that will pass me reguardless. u gotta think outside the box

Old 06-03-2009, 08:30 PM

i have the magnaflow kit on my h3 and its nice and quite for the most part but since it dumps out the back it bounces off of my enclosed trailer and after about 2 hrs i wanna shoot myself...

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust