Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Missing skid plate bolt, offroad pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Default Missing skid plate bolt, offroad pics

Learned a quick lesson today--the bolts that hold the front skid plates in place are M8 x 1.25 x 30 (maybe can do shorter). It looks like they either left it out at my last oil change (not the dealer) or didn't tighten it down.

When I asked the dealer to look for the rattle on Friday the tech said it was my aftermarket exhaust. Bull! I checked it out when it started to drive me crazy (see the pics) and found the bolt was missing. Fixed it with a zip tie and bought the new bolt today.

Here are a few pics of my Jeep buddy Jason, Tracy and me at an abandoned mercury mine NE of Phx called Sunflower Mine. You'll see a couple of videos we took with the cameras, sorry that they aren't high quality. The last video cut out too early, right before the good stuff but you can still see my rear wheel floating off the ground.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.nev...owerMine072107

Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Default RE: Missing skid plate bolt, offroad pics

Nice Alex.................That looks like an interesting place

Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 AM

I recomend useing Locktite on all bolts.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM

Funny, I've been offroading couple of times plus I had my oil change done at the dealer's...
Anyway I noticed recently that this bolt was loose... I tightened it down myself but the question remaines: is it becuase of offroading or maybe the dealer forgot to tight it down properly....

Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM

Most likely the latter...[:@]

Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr_Pat

Including cylinder head, cam phasing gear, camshaft, etc.?????????
Ok, so I'm being a bit facetious since all those are torque to yield and with Loctite, that means lots of problems. However, unless the manufacturer recommends using a threadlocker, DO NOT USE A THREADLOCKER. It might not cause a problem with a shield bolt, but some will say the same as you, "Loctite on all bolts," which can cause more damage and problems than you can ever imagine.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:06 PM

Nice looking area for offroading. Looks like a blast to drive on. Wish we had places like that where I live. Steve

Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 PM

Nice pictures..looks like you had a great time.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Yeah... I think so too...They changed oil in March and I noticed this loose bolt in June... If I haven't cleaned my H3's after offroading, the bolt would be gone by now....

ORIGINAL: f5fstop

ORIGINAL: Mr_Pat

Including cylinder head, cam phasing gear, camshaft, etc.?????????
Ok, so I'm being a bit facetious since all those are torque to yield and with Loctite, that means lots of problems. However, unless the manufacturer recommends using a threadlocker, DO NOT USE A THREADLOCKER. It might not cause a problem with a shield bolt, but some will say the same as you, "Loctite on all bolts," which can cause more damage and problems than you can ever imagine.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Arghhh--same bolt is missing! Went offroading Sunday, rattle came back. Driver's side bolt, 2nd skid plate, MIA again. It was in there securely before, now it's gone. And this time I can't blame an oil change as I put the bolt in there myself three weeks ago. I didn't use loctite. This bolt has to come out for oil changes--does it still make sense to use loctite? [/align]

Quick Reply: Missing skid plate bolt, offroad pics