Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Looking for H3 Fuel Pump Price Options.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Default Looking for H3 Fuel Pump Price Options.

Total newbie! Just purchased an '06 H3 at a great price. It had been hardly driven for the past year. I live in the salt belt of Ontario, Canada. What that means for you Southern American residents is that the roads get salt dumped on them during winter to melt the snow. This creates a 5 month condition equal to driving a vehicle in salt water. Lets just say things become very rusty. I just got rid of a 2000 Pathfinder with a rotten frame. Back to the Hummer. I replaced the front wheel bearing to get it ready for the road. Had to use a four pound sledge hammer and an oxy-acetylene torch to get it out. Typical for salt vehicles and not just General Motors. After the first drive down the highway, and to get gas, I realized one of the rear calipers had seized up. I just finished replacing that and managed to save the pads a rotor. While underneath the vehicle during the wheel bearing replacement, I took a look around. I was happy to see a plastic fuel tank. The metal fuel pump module on the other hand is another story. It is very rusty and won't last much longer. The local Napa warehouse has one for $1200.00. Some online prices vary from $400 to $600. I found a Bosch one for $260, but it was for an H2. Just wondering if anyone has a connection for fuel pumps at a reasonable price, including shipping to Canada. You also have to know that the Canadian dollar is worth squat to the U.S. dollar right now so $400 quickly becomes $500.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

I gave up on predicting the future, so I fix stuff as soon as it breaks.

Welcome to HF from SE MI.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 PM

Thanks Khrome. RockAuto does have one of the better prices and delivery to my home is rather quick. I was hoping for a cheaper price because, well, I'm cheap. I can't predict the future but I can tell when a part on a vehicle is up for catastrophic failure. The fuel pump will need to be changed within 4 months. Leaking gas gets rather expensive and, well, I'm cheap.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Same as in Ontario, every car driven on winter MI roads gets a rust covered fuel pump, like the original one on my Mom's 94 Pontiac. 20+ years and no failure. Any predictions on that one????

Old 10-18-2015, 04:35 PM

A '94 Pontiac? They are virtually extinct here. A friend of mine has one. It was his first car. Bought it brand new and never seen the salty conditions. The rockers are rusting out and it has less than 60,000 miles on it. I assume your mother does not drive. BTW, my fuel pump started leaking today. Got a gas smell from it this morning.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:05 PM

For anyone who is interested. I changed my fuel pump yesterday. The tank was a little tough to get out. Getting all the bolts loose and lines disconnected was the easy part. The back of the tank had to be dropped at a 45degree angle so the front of the tank could clear a cross member. A strap runs above the tank at the front and can be removed to make things easier. The new fuel pump arrived with what looks like bare metal so I primed and painted it. After it was installed I coated it with rust proofing. I had a little problem disconnecting the fuel supply line at the tank. I disconnected it by the transmission and dealt with the other end once the tank was out. The large vent line was stubborn to remove. The lock ring had seized on pump assembly and took a considerable amount of persuasion to remove.There was also a line inside the tank connected to the pump assembly. The supply line was leaking where it meets the assembly. I also coated the steal vent line along the frame and the supply line on top of the tank with rustproofing.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the information.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:45 PM

Excellent information Wrench. Hope to see you around this forum for years to come.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:05 PM

Not sure if I will be around for years. This Hummer of mine is sucking all the money (and life) out of me. Front wheel bearing number two is scheduled for replacement this week.