Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Leveling on 35"s vs. 4" lift on 35s. Measurments?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Thanks for the nice words. If you look at the space between the front tire and the fender you can see a big difference even with his 37s. Our 315s are 34.5" tall and the 37s are 36.9". So the difference is 2.4" devide that by 2 = 1.2" difference in the overall height between the 2. So add another 1.2" (1") to the gap between the front tire and the fender. It is almost a 4" diff. with the Rancho.

If I could still use my stock rims without spacers I would have a Rancho on our 08 H3 Alpha.
I have mixed emotions about lifting.. I am upside down in mine and plan on keeping it for ever.. Its been perfect rig for being a single dad and having 3 year old. We often road trip to Seattle (3 hour drive) and to our family beach house (1.5 hour drive) Its comfortable, reliable, gets decent fuel mileage (for being on 35's) I just wish it was about 2-3 inches taller then it is now..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:53 AM

Your h3t looks great..not a big fan of the truck look but yours has changed my mind.the wheels and tires are perfect,along with the lift. I was wondering if anyone ever has trouble with a stalling feeling when breaking? Ive changed plugs, no difference.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by bird72763
I have mixed emotions about lifting.. I am upside down in mine and plan on keeping it for ever.. Its been perfect rig for being a single dad and having 3 year old. We often road trip to Seattle (3 hour drive) and to our family beach house (1.5 hour drive) Its comfortable, reliable, gets decent fuel mileage (for being on 35's) I just wish it was about 2-3 inches taller then it is now..
Have you thought about the 1" Daystar body lift? I will be doing this "mod" over the winter to gain enough room to fit 37s. 1" taller body and 1" taller tires would give me about 2" over what I have now.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 AM

Personally, I prefer the stance and profile of the gray H3T.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:47 AM

I am anti body lift.. Thats just me though.. But your your truck with the wheels, I think it would be perfect. I really wish someone with a 4 inch kit with 35s would chime in so we could get some fender measurements. I am guessing its maybe just about 2 inches higher then how mine sits now leveled.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by bird72763
I am anti body lift.. Thats just me though.. But your your truck with the wheels, I think it would be perfect. I really wish someone with a 4 inch kit with 35s would chime in so we could get some fender measurements. I am guessing its maybe just about 2 inches higher then how mine sits now leveled.
Really, you want the measurements from wheel center to fender, not ground to fender. That takes tire size completely out and you can do an apples to apples comparison with what you have.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Really, you want the measurements from wheel center to fender, not ground to fender. That takes tire size completely out and you can do an apples to apples comparison with what you have.

I hear what your saying.. But,,,, I am looking for a H3 with a 4 inch lift, with 315's on it so I can see the overall height compared to mine with just a leveling kit on it.. I have seen plenty on here.. But, there are none in my area to compare too.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Have you thought about the 1" Daystar body lift? I will be doing this "mod" over the winter to gain enough room to fit 37s. 1" taller body and 1" taller tires would give me about 2" over what I have now.
I'm completely against body lifts, and I'm under the impression that you don't know that a body lift is cosmetic only, and doesn't help one bit off road. To me it is like fake hood scoops or those stupid NOS bottles that are actually subs. Getting back to subject, your only getting 1" because of the bigger tires, not 2".

If your goal is to sit two inches higher your golden, but to me it seems waste full, because for the ultimate off-road vehicle you want to sit as low as possible with the most amount of ground clearance. While what I said is counter intuitive, there is this happy medium area where the vehicle works great.

So hear is how I look at it. While yes your getting bigger tires, your raising your ride 2" inches for only 1" of ground clearance. Where as the Rancho lift nets 4" of ground clearance with 1" bigger tires that's 5:5 ratio, where as the body lift is a 2:1 ratio. You'll also have 1 inch gaps between your bumpers, the body will be weakened, and if I'm not mistaken there is some cutting involved to make it work (fan shroud and possible wires or something, but I forget).

But this is my opinion, I'm young, and you know what's best for you.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Schwarttzy
I'm completely against body lifts, and I'm under the impression that you don't know that a body lift is cosmetic only, and doesn't help one bit off road. To me it is like fake hood scoops or those stupid NOS bottles that are actually subs. Getting back to subject, your only getting 1" because of the bigger tires, not 2".

If your goal is to sit two inches higher your golden, but to me it seems waste full, because for the ultimate off-road vehicle you want to sit as low as possible with the most amount of ground clearance. While what I said is counter intuitive, there is this happy medium area where the vehicle works great.

So hear is how I look at it. While yes your getting bigger tires, your raising your ride 2" inches for only 1" of ground clearance. Where as the Rancho lift nets 4" of ground clearance with 1" bigger tires that's 5:5 ratio, where as the body lift is a 2:1 ratio. You'll also have 1 inch gaps between your bumpers, the body will be weakened, and if I'm not mistaken there is some cutting involved to make it work (fan shroud and possible wires or something, but I forget).

But this is my opinion, I'm young, and you know what's best for you.
Well Stud (Schwarttzy), sounds like you need to check out some different glasses and have a second look at your own opinion. I have to disagree with you on many of your points. Yes I will be gaining "only" 1" of ground clearance with the 37s and body lift. I even stated that I would "give me 2" over what I have now" (taller), no mention of 2" ground clearance! I WILL be gaining better approach/breakover/decent angles which if you have ever wheeled an H3 or H3T is our nemisis. If you look at the body mounts we have already they are a quazi-body lift already and no modifications except to spin the radiator shroud 180 degrees at least on my 08 H3 Alpha. How do you see the "body weakening"???

By the way the Rancho kit gains you absolutly ZERO ground clearance unless you go to larger tires. So by YOUR calculations your ratio would be 4" of lift higher COG (center of gravity) with no gain in ground clearance (the space between the ground and the front or rear axle in our case). So a 2" to gain 1" over a 4" to gain ZERO sounds like a better deal to me and I can keep my OEM rims and gain better approach/breakover/decent angles than I have now.

"If your goal is to sit two inches higher your golden, but to me it seems waste full, because for the ultimate off-road vehicle you want to sit as low as possible with the most amount of ground clearance. While what I said is counter intuitive, there is this happy medium area where the vehicle works great."

DUH, read above and see why my plan is not "wastefull". I will be sitting lower than a 4" Ranco lifted H3/H3T AND I will have more ground clearance AND a lower COG while gaining better approach/breakover/decent angles than I do with the 315s I have now. Yep, I know there will be slight gaps in the rear bumper I do my research,. My Midnight Blue Matallic H3 does not show the rear gap that much and I have a B/A winch bumper in the front which I can adjust up so the gap will be almost minimal there too. Another PLUS is that my RR Sliderz will not be resting on and crushing the pinch weld seams any longer which will effect the "body weakening" faster than a simple 1" body lift.

Looks like you know so much more than I do about these things, I guess.

Last edited by TAINTER; 12-04-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM

DUH, read above and see why my plan is not "wastefull". I will be sitting lower than a 4" Ranco lifted H3/H3T AND I will have more ground clearance AND a lower center of gravity while gaining better approach/breakover/decent angles than I do now with the 315s I have now. Yep, I know there will be slight gaps in the rear bumper (My Midnight Blue Matallic H3 does not show the rear gap that much) and I have a B/A bumper in the front which I can adjust up so the gap will be almost minimal there too. Another PLUS is that my RR Sliderz will not be resting and crushing the pinch weld seams any longer which will effect the ""body weakening" faster than a simple 1" body lift. But you know so much more than I do about these things I guess.
I'm out, I clearly wasted my time.

Quick Reply: Leveling on 35"s vs. 4" lift on 35s. Measurments?