Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

LED Taillights/ Turn Signal Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Default LED Taillights/ Turn Signal Speed

I put in new 3157 LED tail light bulbs (2 red for taillight, 2 white for reverse lights). They all work fine for signal illumination, turning, braking, etc. I checked that.

but when I got in to drive, my turn signal speed (the clicking noise/ signal on the dash) is way faster than before. I know sometimes this happens when a bulb is out...but I confirmed that they are all working. Same thing even for the hazard lights.

is there any way to reverse this? Could anything negative happen as a result of this?

Old 04-30-2017, 01:48 PM

You can install load equalizers which fixes it by creating extra resistance but the easiest and cheapest fix is changing your flasher. At the parts store ask for a no load flasher. They flash on a time delay, not load.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM

So what specifically (is there a part #) do I ask for, and do I need only one? where do I find the one to replace on mine (underwood fuse, or driver/ passenger kick box)?

also...if I drive around for a few days with it on hyper flash it won't do any damage will it? And if I do change out theflasher relay to the no load one as you mention, that won't affect anything else (like cruise control, etc) will it?

Old 04-30-2017, 03:40 PM

You need a 12v no load flasher. It is inside under drivers side. Pull it and take it with you. I think the are two prong but I'm not sure. Universal fit depending on prong configuration. It will not affect anything else. It only determines the speed of flash. The reason the load type flash faster is so that you know when the load is not as heavy when a bulb burns out. Because leds don't pull a fraction of amperage your current flasher thinks a bulb is burnt out.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Ok, I'm just having trouble locating specifically where it is under the drivers side. I have a 2008 H3 (V8). I've seen some people post that there isn't one, it's just built into the BCM.

Where dan I find it under the driver's side?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:26 PM

I have not had to change mine but it is loud. Turn on your turn signal and follow the sound

Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM

I tried that but no luck. I also cannot see any fuse area under the steering wheel on driver's side.

Another site I looked on also said there isn't one, its internal to the BCM. Are you sure it is available to be pulled and replaced?

Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Well you are probably right. According to this it is part of bcm. Your choices are install load equalizer or put normal bulbs in.

There is no replaceable flasher , controlled by the BCM . body control module .
Turn Signal Lamps
The FRT/TRN/HAZ/CRTSY/MIRR and REAR/TRN/HAZ fuses in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the body control module (BCM). When the turn signal switch is placed in either the left or right position, a signal is sent to the BCM to illuminate the desired turn signal lamps. The BCM has an internal flasher that sends an ON-OFF voltage signal to either the left or right turn signals and their instrument panel cluster (IPC) indicator. When the hazard switch is pressed, a separate ground signal is sent to the BCM to activate and flash all turn signal lamps including both IPC turn indicators. The front and rear turn signals are grounded at G105, G350 and G340. The sound for the turn signal indicators is produced by the IPC.
You have a bad Multifunction Switch Replacement
or BCM . You would need a GM Tech.2 scan tool To check the turn signal switch input to the BCM an to check out put of BCM to turn signal blubs . If a BCM needs to be replaced the scan tool is need to program it .
You

Old 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Ya, looks like its internal to the BCM.

But...I found a workaround. I'm going to just replace my 3157 Taillamp bulbs with new 3157 Sylvania Silverstar bulbs (theyre still the "old"/ non-LED bulbs, but brighter). AND...I'm going to leave the LED White 3157 bulbs in the reverse light sockets.

I tried it and it seems to have reverted back to normal flasher speed (no more hyperflash). Makes sense I guess since the LED's were 3.1W and the normal 3157 bulbs are 26 watt. I guess only the tail/ turn/ brake lamps are affected by the turn signal, causing the hyperflash. Not the reverse lights.

So, a half-*** LED upgrade job. I guess half-*** on 2 taillights will have to do, as opposed to whole-***. LOL.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:25 PM

As others have said, wiring in a load resistor (one per side) will solve the hyperflash issue and still allow you to use the LEDs.

I had to use one for my backup LEDs, 'cuz the low current LED bulbs messed with the operation of my backup camera screen (the slideout one in the rearview mirror).

Quick Reply: LED Taillights/ Turn Signal Speed