PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've hit 40k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default I've hit 40k miles.

Well, I've had my H3 since October of '05 and have had no engine problems. I've used primarily 87 octane, standard 10w-30 oil (not synthetic) changed probably every 5k to 7k miles or so, and have the PCM tune. Besides a few minor issues with the differential, I've had absolutely no engine problems. It still runs like new. I have a manufactured date of Aug. '05 and have had no head and valve problems either. Therefore I'm going to stay with standard oil. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm still on my original tires and have at least 50% of the tread left. The clutch is like new and since I consistantly take it for an underbody wash, there is hardly any rust underneat with the exception of the driveshaft obviously. The brake pads I would say are barely half worn even though I'm a heavy braker at times, and only one rear brake light bulb has burned out. 80% of those miles are driven at night also with the foglights and headlights on, and have yet to have a burned out bulb.

Unfortunately, I have only taken it off-roading once, but there were no mechanical problems. My alignment is just a WEE bit off, but probably because of the torsion bar adjustments.The only problem I have now is that the rear fluid sprayer doesn't work, and since I don't really use it anyway it hasn't been a priority for me to fix.

So, all in all, it's honestly been the most reliable car I have ever owned, and this is number 12. Despite my aggrivations with nobody knowing much about the normal clinks and clanks of a worn-in manual transmission on these things, it's been a smooth ride. Not one spot of body rust anywhere either.

Of all the import cars I have owned, I never thought an American car would be a keeper for me. The longest car I have owned was my '99 Isuzu Rodeo which lasted 5 years and never had a problem either.

So, I just thought I'd share my experience with everybody so far. I'm honestly surprised it's held up so well, and I intend on keeping it once the lease is up. I've put alot of work into getting this thing the way I want it and can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

The End.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Default RE: I've hit 40k miles.

Very Good news...[sm=smiley20.gif]

But you forgot to also mention the little dent in the roof..

Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, well, that dent isn't exactly what I would call a "Manufacturer's Defect" but I made up for it with the K.I.T.T. lights (yes, I had to dig that cat out of the bag again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xau7xAhXd2E

Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 PM

Great post. Most of us here of course only have a few hundred to few thousand miles on our H3s. I'm at 6100 after eight weeks, but it was parked at the airport for about three of those weeks. I've had more problems with this than my previous three cars combined--but I like it more than my previous three cars combined. Go HUMMER!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM

hey there I ahve 37,000 miles on my H3 bought it in Dec '05

i was going to make a post but why not discuss here

my tires still look brand new !! like they could go another 40-50 thousand miles easy

i ahve the adventure package with the larger tires.

how are othersdoing in the tire department? i have the bridgestone duelers

Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the tires are pretty incredible. I'm honestly thinking about just going with the same brand/model and upgrading to bigger ones once these wear. I was going to get some MTs but since 99% of my driving is street driving, it really makes no sense.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 PM

I am just about to hit 30,000 miles my self and also have not had any major problems. Knock on wood. Although my gas mileage has been lower in general since this past winter so I do need to bring it in just incase it is the first sign of head problems.

Also HummerGuy you should look in to BFG All Terrain TA/KO's I had them on my last car (Isuzu Vehicross) and they had amazing traction in rain and snow and last a long time. These will be what I get once the stock tires wear out. They are also one of the few snow rated tires out there. The only thing I could say against them is that they are not the best mud tire, but living in the north east they are great all year tires.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:47 PM

I am about to hit 3k