Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Interested in a RV trailer hauler. Is an H3 a good candidate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 02:57 PM
Cool Interested in a RV trailer hauler. Is an H3 a good candidate?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a RV trailer between 3-4k pounds and am considering a 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Sahara/Rubicon, or 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha.

Test drove both, and the H3 Alpha felt a bit small/cramped inside (both front and rear seating) compared to the Wrangler, even though dimensions on paper are very similar. We are a family of 4, and need 2 car seats in the rear.

At any rate, this Alpha had a front leveling kit (unsure of brand) and 285/75/16 tires. Seller claimed it has the "suspension package" or something like that, but it did not have the locking diff button on the center console. It has skid plates and s tow hitch (I believe factory hitch).

The Wrangler can only tow 3500 pounds, while I've read the H3 can tow 5000-6000 pounds (why the 2 different values?)

I read that leveling kits aren't needed, and the front shouldn't exceed 23.75" from fender well to hub center. I did not measure this during my test drive, but I can certainly go back and measure this.
My concern here is, while towing, the front would naturally come up as the rear squats, and I am assuming the front would exceed 23.75". Would this be detrimental? Most trips would be 400-800 mile round trip.

Is this 2008 H3 Alpha ideal for my purpose: to haul a 3-4k pound trailer?
Other than that, it would be used occasionally to switch off between some of my other cars. Maybe will get into some beginners off-roading.
Down the line, would like to upgrade the wheels and suspension for a more lifted bad *** look. Is it any more difficult/different raising an H3 vs. a Wrangler?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. No locker, just a regular Alpha with standard suspension that some prior owner up-sized tires to 285s from 265s. There are no longer any "lift kits" made for the H3.

Max T Bar adjustment in the front is and has been for years now, 23.5"

Weight in the back is not going to raise up the front, it is not a teeter totter concept.

From the Owners Manual which are all on line free...
Weight of the Trailer How heavy can a trailer safely be? It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. It can depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle, and the amount of tongue weight the vehicle can carry. See “Weight of the Trailer Tongue” later in this section for more information.
Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight. Use the following chart to determine how much your vehicle can weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

Engine .................................................. ...Axle Ratio ...................Maximum Trailer Weight *................. GCWR
Automatic Transmission, 3.7L Engine .........4.56.............................4,500 lbs (2 041 kg) .........................9,500 lbs (4 309 kg)
Automatic Transmission, 5.3L Engine ...4.10 .............................6,000 lbs (2 721 kg) .......................11,400 lbs (5 171 kg)
Manual Transmission 3.7L .........................4.56 .............................3,000 lbs (1 364 kg) .........................8,000 lbs (3 629 kg)

*The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) in the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

If you are going to do that much towing, get a pickup truck or even consider an Alpha H3T.

Short wheel base of the H3 is intended for off road obstacles and does not do well towing. The old tail wagging the dog feeling ain't fun.

I did some towing with my old 07, well over 4500# for about 400 miles one way from S of Milwaukee to NE of Detroit. My truck had all the performance mods, off road mods, and weighed almost 6000# with me in it. The 07 did all I asked, but I would never do it again.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF. No locker, just a regular Alpha with standard suspension that some prior owner up-sized tires to 285s from 265s. There are no longer any "lift kits" made for the H3.

Max T Bar adjustment in the front is and has been for years now, 23.5"

Weight in the back is not going to raise up the front, it is not a teeter totter concept.

From the Owners Manual which are all on line free...
Weight of the Trailer How heavy can a trailer safely be? It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. It can depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle, and the amount of tongue weight the vehicle can carry. See “Weight of the Trailer Tongue” later in this section for more information.
Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight. Use the following chart to determine how much your vehicle can weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

Engine .................................................. ...Axle Ratio ...................Maximum Trailer Weight *................. GCWR
Automatic Transmission, 3.7L Engine .........4.56.............................4,500 lbs (2 041 kg) .........................9,500 lbs (4 309 kg)
Automatic Transmission, 5.3L Engine ...4.10 .............................6,000 lbs (2 721 kg) .......................11,400 lbs (5 171 kg)
Manual Transmission 3.7L .........................4.56 .............................3,000 lbs (1 364 kg) .........................8,000 lbs (3 629 kg)

*The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) in the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.
Thanks for this great info!

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If you are going to do that much towing, get a pickup truck or even consider an Alpha H3T.

Short wheel base of the H3 is intended for off road obstacles and does not do well towing. The old tail wagging the dog feeling ain't fun.

I did some towing with my old 07, well over 4500# for about 400 miles one way from S of Milwaukee to NE of Detroit. My truck had all the performance mods, off road mods, and weighed almost 6000# with me in it. The 07 did all I asked, but I would never do it again.
I was considering a pickup truck as well (but not the H3T, dont like how it looks... same goes with the Jeep Gladiator..ugly) but figured an SUV would be better since I may tow max 10-20 times a year, and the rest of the time I would be driving it around town, etc sort of like a daily.
Heck, even an early model year 04-08 Cayenne S was on my radar, and those can tow 7,700 pounds, but I dont want to show up to a camp site in a Porsche, lol.

Can you explain why you wouldnt do it again if it did so well?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 AM

beemerb0y, move on.
Doc gave you honest answers with facts.
1. You don't want to tow a trailer with a shorter wheelbase vehicle.
2. The trans will not like towing 10-20 times per year.
3. Seems like you care way to much what others think of you (I dont want to show up to a camp site in a Porsche, lol.)

Old 05-22-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
beemerb0y, move on.
Doc gave you honest answers with facts.
1. You don't want to tow a trailer with a shorter wheelbase vehicle.
2. The trans will not like towing 10-20 times per year.
3. Seems like you care way to much what others think of you (I dont want to show up to a camp site in a Porsche, lol.)
Makes sense, i didnt quite think about the wheel base. Still a bit shocked that a rugged vehicle such as a Hummer, with a V8, with a towing capacity of 6k pounds, is viewed poorly in the tow sector.
Such a shame