Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

ignition problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Default ignition problem ?

after i turn off the ignition remove the key the radio stays on, the instrument panel remains lit and when i open the door to exit the vehicle the warning chime goes off like their is still a key left in the ignition.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Great...new thread. O.K., I had said to remove your driver's door pin switch, but an easier way to check if it's working properly is to open the door from the outside and see if the dome light works. If it does, your switch is making contact (which will kill the radio when you turn off the key and get out), and it's probably a problem with your BCM. If your dome lights don't turn on, remove the pin switch, and use a jumper (a paper clip should work), between the 2 terminals on the connector you removed from it. If your radio turns off, and your dome lights turn on, you've got a bad switch. Trying to diagnosis and electrical problem over a forum is tough, so all you can do is eliminate possibilities by trial and error. Keep us informed.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Don't forget to check all 5 pin switches (4 doors and the rear). I have had to replace several rear door pin switches on H3s.

If that isn't it it may be the actual ignigtion switch (where the key goes) or a few other things. I hope you don't have to have the BCM reprogrammed/reset.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM

i had a remote starter installed about 8 months ago could this be a factor, door pin switches all seem fine

Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned
Default i had a remote starter installed about 8 months ago!!!!!

YIKES
GOOD LUK

when a new problem shows up,look where the last work was done. good starting point...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM

I agree with drtom on this one, it could be the issue but hey ya never know

Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 PM

Remote Start! Oh NO!

Forgot to ask about an alarm or starter, the list of things that could cause your issues just quadroupled!

Without removing the ENTIRE remote starter and wiring it will be almost impossible to diagnose this one over the internet. Sorry.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I had remote starters on my 06 and 08 H3's with zero problems, however I had one installed on my 10 Alpha and there were problems from day 1. I had a different installer do the Alpha and that may have been the culprit. I had it removed after I was having the master cylinder replaced under warranty and they had a difficult time programming the module. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. After my warranty runs out I will likey have it reinstalled by the company that did my first two. As drtom said, the first place to start looking is the last place something was fiddled with.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

the last place something was fiddled with.
now thats a better way to say it!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Update I installed a new ignition lock cylinder and everythings fine now

Quick Reply: ignition problem ?