Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

🆘 Ignition lock solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 12:41 AM
Default 🆘 Ignition lock solenoid

I have an 07 H3 with just about to roll 270k…

Im having an issue with the key sticking in the lock housing. I’ve had this happen before but it was due to low battery and antitheft mechanism; with that particular incident the engine would not crank over until the antitheft system was neutralized.
The current issue allows me to turn the engine over and drive the vehicle per normal. I pulled the Ignition Lock Solenoid and it’s showing signs of malfunction; due to this I believe this is the culprit

Very unfortunate but I cannot find an ignition lock solenoid anyyyywhere.
If anyone can share some insight or point towards the right direction I would be much obliged.

Much love
Kai

This is the solenoid. It is located within the steering wheel housing; on the right side directly behind the switch lock cylinder(I believe)

Old 01-20-2023, 09:42 AM

it looks pretty dirty. it might just be binding from the dirt. maybe you can clean it out a bit and add a bit of fresh lube.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:04 AM
Default Part discontinued

This little guy has officially been discontinued. Called GM. Direct…
I will give that a shot…the cleaning.. where do you recommend the lubricant placement?
I just don’t know what is actually malfunctioning in the solenoid… it has the spring load device and that feels loser than I would suspect.. also I do not know what all is inside this mechanism.

hell ya never know. A good cleaning always makes me feel better anyways

Old 01-21-2023, 03:04 PM

There is a guy on eBay that rebuilds door lock actuators - I bought several rebuilt locks from him a couple of years ago and was very happy. Might be worth reaching out to him and see if he wants to expand his product line to ignition lock solonoids. https://www.ebay.com/str/actuatorsplus

Old 01-21-2023, 03:05 PM

usually it is just a solenoid with a metal rod down the center that plunges in and out.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:26 PM
Default Ignition lock Solenoid

Thanks for the insight guys.

Im curious to know the endgame of this product being discontinued… I can’t be the only who has this issue or will have this issue.
There isn’t any aftermarket parts that can be used in place of this solenoid… as far as my research has gone.
Its a dog and pony show… Wild goose chase…

Be aware H3 owners… ignition lock solenoids are no longer available.

GM is notorious for this BS IMO.

Have a great week peeps
SkyKai

Old 01-22-2023, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KaiThor54
Thanks for the insight guys.

Im curious to know the endgame of this product being discontinued… I can’t be the only who has this issue or will have this issue.
There isn’t any aftermarket parts that can be used in place of this solenoid… as far as my research has gone.
Its a dog and pony show… Wild goose chase…

Be aware H3 owners… ignition lock solenoids are no longer available.

GM is notorious for this BS IMO.

Have a great week peeps
SkyKai

You are the only 1 I've ever seen.
Check The Shift Interlock Solenoid!

Old 01-22-2023, 08:16 PM

Well the actual issue is the key being stuck. As far as I know, and the info I’ve researched, a stuck key is no symptom of the Shift lock solenoid.
Being that the hummer would start and drive normal, the stuck key issue is most likely coming from the somewhere within the ignition housing and/or its ancillary components.
I’ve been able to track down some videos and posts about the same issue.
When I removed the steering column cover, and popped the solenoid off, the key would move in and out the housing without any issues.
Im fairly confident this is the issue.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Many GM models can get the key stuck with a defective shift lock solenoid, and others with the steering wheel lock engaged under pressure.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:22 PM

I will check into the shift lock solenoid. Is the conclusion that the issue has nothing to do with the ignition lock solenoid?
thanks for the input… information is the knowledge. Knowledge is priceless

Quick Reply: 🆘 Ignition lock solenoid