Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer h3 stalls only when stopping and engine is warm

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM
Default Hummer h3 stalls only when stopping and engine is warm

I been having a issue with my 2006 hummer h3 for some time with stalling I have done tons of work
Changed spark plugs,coils,mass air flow sensor, throttle body,map sensor,ect temp sensor, tcc solenoid, vvt solenoid,alternator, I have done complete transmission fluid change, I've checked my fuses all good, changed upstream 02 sensor now problem I do notice when its stalls at lights or idle sometimes the oil pressure sensor comes on and it was doing it before the stalling issue but only when I stop then gos out when I drive I've read this could cause stalling due to sum fail safe in GM trucks I also have a bad fuel pressure sensor

Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Nope I did however get a ecu code saying it had errors in the system so I'm wondering if it needs to flashed or full reset which I done myself once before cause things I replaced still comeback as If i never replaced the parts i have a feeling the ecu thinks theres still problems when there isnt anymore cause I also switched out cam sensors and crankshaft sensor and that comes back off and on the dammn thing just pisses me off I done everything possible to fix the stalling issue even BG fuel injector cleaner witch is what GM dealership uses I hate to give up on the truck cause it runs good just up untill I stop or let it idle

Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 PM

Is the by chance a sunroof or roof rack leak getting to the bcm and causing corrosion, short? Is the ecm, ecu possibly getting moisture into it?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

How many miles on your truck would be an important piece of information if you want help.

Have you had it scanned from start up to full temp to see what it is doing and is there any codes? Are the intake manifold fasteners all tight to torque?

Like Hummerz was saying, you should diagnose the problem before throwing parts unrelated to the problem at the truck = waste of $$.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:15 AM

All the things I replaced was coming up on scan tool more than once so I replaced the parts some codes went away some still occur and it has 136,000 miles

Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Are the intake manifold fasteners all tight to torque?

Have you read this? ................ Acts like it wants to stall/rough idle -No CEL -What To Do:

Old 05-23-2019, 08:27 AM

Do you have pictures of this I doubt it's the problem being it only stalls when vehicle has warmed up

Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

No I do not have pics. The problem is a common issue with I5s. Some have had missing fasteners before they figured out "the problem".

When the vehicle is running its cold start strategy (like old school choke) rich fuel mixture it may be enough to allow the engine to idle. Once the motor comes up to temp and enters closed loop, there may not be enough fuel in the air entering the cylinders because of the leak downstream from the MAF for a smooth idle, or any idle for that matter. Might seem backwards to some, but it happens.

I always look to the simple stuff first. It doesn't get much simpler than checking the intake manifold bolts are tight. Intake #500, bolts #502, if I remember correctly, there are seven.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dionta1990
Nope I did however get a ecu code saying it had errors in the system so I'm wondering if it needs to flashed or full reset which I done myself once before cause things I replaced still comeback as If i never replaced the parts i have a feeling the ecu thinks theres still problems when there isnt anymore cause I also switched out cam sensors and crankshaft sensor and that comes back off and on the dammn thing just pisses me off I done everything possible to fix the stalling issue even BG fuel injector cleaner witch is what GM dealership uses I hate to give up on the truck cause it runs good just up untill I stop or let it idle
Needs flashed? Module flashing is only for updates, and in your case, none available. The module monitors the components, and if you installed a defective part, then you will still have an issue. Concentrate on air/fuel for your symptom. Btw, did you check/replace your air filter? Start there and work your way to the maf and throttle body cleaning. Make sure to check/torque those intake manifold bolts too.

Quick Reply: Hummer h3 stalls only when stopping and engine is warm