Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

How reliable is the "change oil" indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKVZ
Guys there is no sensor and the computer doesn't know if the oil is synthetic or not. The oil change light comes on based on a computer computation based on how the vehicle has been driven since the last reset. There's a good read here: http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf
One of the smartest replies I have ever seen on this forum....lol The 3k oil change is the oldest scam in the books......I change my oil in all but my diesel every 10k and have managed to get 400K out of my oldest truck thus far.........You could get 15K easily using modern synthetics.....

Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by FRANKVZ
Guys there is no sensor and the computer doesn't know if the oil is synthetic or not. The oil change light comes on based on a computer computation based on how the vehicle has been driven since the last reset. There's a good read here: http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf
Common sense tells us there is no sensor nor does the computer know what kind of oil is in it. If it did, you wouldn't need to reset the oil check timer.

Good read though.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 AM

While I don't believe in 3k oil changes, No way I would wait til 15k. Opened many an engine in my time turning wrenches.
I change mine 5-7k. I don't wait for a computer to tell me to as long as it is not sub zero out. The computer just uses parameters based on the driving conditions, It doesn't give a crap whether you have synthetic or plain old dino. Unless you start off new with synth there is not really much of a benefit in dumping it in after 60k. If GM thought they would get another 50k miles out of your engine by just changing from dino to synth they would have come that way.

I have had many an old farm bucket we trashed on that we didn't care what kind or even weight we put in as long as it was full, they all went over 200k.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by talusfan
While I don't believe in 3k oil changes, No way I would wait til 15k. Opened many an engine in my time turning wrenches.
I change mine 5-7k. I don't wait for a computer to tell me to as long as it is not sub zero out. The computer just uses parameters based on the driving conditions, It doesn't give a crap whether you have synthetic or plain old dino. Unless you start off new with synth there is not really much of a benefit in dumping it in after 60k. If GM thought they would get another 50k miles out of your engine by just changing from dino to synth they would have come that way.

I have had many an old farm bucket we trashed on that we didn't care what kind or even weight we put in as long as it was full, they all went over 200k.
One of the smartest replies I have ever seen on this forum

Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Honestly, I don't think you can compare old farm trucks to today's engines with tighter tolerances. I do think it's really important to have the right weight for new vehicles. As far as synthetic vs. dino, the debate will go on and on.. Personally, I think synthetic WILL hold up better and last longer, but it still gets dirty. I've always changed my oil somewhere between 3k and 5k miles, dino just just fine for that. I may switch to synthetic or a blend now that I have decided to go by the oil change light. I'll still be checking it from time to time and if it starts running low or starts looking really dirty I'll change it.

The nifty computer doesn't know if I'm driving around town or down a dusty trail, actually checking the oil matters.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM

Other than the fact that 30 years on the old ford and it still runs like a champ no matter what you throw in on or under it. Don't get me wrong I love the 3, But I highly doubt it will get anywhere even close to 30 years of service even if I jump on the placebo bandwagon and put synthetic in it.
I'm pretty sure if they thought they could get away with the 'Your Hummer takes a super special synthetic oil that is why your oil change is 249.99' line they would do it.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

i put a lotta oil in a lotta fords, the best i got in a 74 302 van was 143,000, and it got good oil every 3000, and some stp. bearings, maybe just one!

i do think the 460 would go forever,,,had one in an 80 mustang,,fun ride