Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Default HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)

Hey guys just installed my app radio in my 2006 hummer h3 with monsoon
and couldn't really find any specific installation instructions so i figured id make one up as i go, to help some of you guys out.

Things you will need - 7mm ratchet or nut driver, Pliers with crimp or crimping/stripping tool, box of at least 16 crimps/connectors, small box(6-10) 8mm screws no longer than 1/2 inch(this is what i needed with the app radio not sure if it applies for all radios), METRA GMOS-04 WIRING HARNESS if you have monsoon, METRA GMOS-01 if you do not (you can tell by looking at your subwoofer in the back it will have the monsoon logo if you have it), SCOSCHE GM1595 IN-DASH INSTALLATION KIT

Optional - If you want to install a bypass, you will need a 4 or 5 pin 12v accessory relay with pins numbered 30,85,86,87,87a. small roll of wire(i used 16 gauge), small box of Female disconnects (4 or more) make sure the gauge matches your wire.

First things first removing the old radio - This is really a breeze in this truck, disconnect your battery(not necessary but recommended), then put your gear shifter all the way down to 1 and put on your parking brake. Insert your two fingers into the holes for the lighters and pull up and out the whole bezel will pop out, then disconnect all the harnesses behind it, you can leave the hazard lights connected and put the bezel ontop of your dash. Then you will find your radio being held in by 4 7mm bolts, unscrew these and the radio will basically fall out so make sure you hold it before removing the last one. Put these to the side and do not lose these bolts. now disconnect the harnesses from your radio
and take it out, very simple but that was the easy part.

Now connecting the GMOS-04 to the aftermarket radio, This is also pretty straight forward everything is color matched,(there will be some wires not connected to anything don't freak out its supposed to be like that), The only wire that was not color matched for me was the pink on the harness is the remote wire which connects to the red from the radio.

ALSO OPTIONAL ASWC UNIT: FOR THE HUMMER H3 YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT THE FOLLOWING WIRES FROM THE 12 PIN ASWC HARNESS: WHITE/GREEN, GREEN/ORANGE, AND ORANGE GREEN WIRES

Now that you have the harness connected you are ready to install the SCHOSCHE GM1595 DASH KIT, which is also pretty simple. First click the side brackets into place on the kit panel(black cut out rectangle with mounting holes) now slide the assembly over your head unit, until it stops itself don't force it any farther. now turn the head unit on its side and screw the side bracket into the head unit (mine used 8mm screws 1/2inch) 3-4 screws on each side is fine, Repeat on the opposite side. Hold on to the trim ring and out to the car you go.

Installing the radio - The harnesses will be a direct fit to your stock connectors, just plug it in and tuck your wires, make sure to connect your antenna back in , and if you use the app radio plug in your gps unit, and external microphone(will explain where i ran mine later). Now just hold your radio in place in screw in with the 7mm bolts that held the stock radio in, and connect back all your harnesses for the bezel (4wd, ac, lighters, etc…) the bezel will snap back in as easy as you took it off, now you can snap in your trim ring by just pushing it in the space around your head unit (you will hear it click into place). You are now done and have installed your new radio, see below for installing a bypass and where i ran my microphone.

OPTIONAL BYPASS-(pics below) Take your relay and connect ground wires to both pins 86 and 87, jump a remote wire from your head unit to pin 85, and connect the parking brake wire coming off of your head unit to pin 30, and you are done

External Microphone - (pics below) I chose to run mine right under the steering wheel where you would adjust it up or down there is a small space that the stock clip it comes with will snap right on to, and it won't affect your steering wheels range of motion, tuck the excess wire up under the kick panel and thats it.

Sorry for this being so long and boring just wanted to make sure i listed everything i could think of, Feel free to pm me with any questions!

Good Day!

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)-img_0968.jpg   HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)-img_0904.jpg   HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)-img_1005.jpg   HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)-img_1003.jpg   HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)-img_1012.jpg  

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks a lot for the post! I plan on doing this in the future and will definitely use this as a reference!

I was somewhat surprised that my H3 came equipped with a single disc cd player, but had the monsoon speakers/sub. Not sure if you know, but how difficult would it be to hook up GPS capabilities to an after market unit?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM

If you get the app radio 3 it comes with GPS built in, And navigation and its not all that expensive (i paid 375.00 shipped NEW) and it has am/fm radio a cd player bluetooth audio and you can connect your iPhone or a lot of other smartphones, And it matches the stock bezel in the h3.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM

What was the Pioneer model # of your head unit?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by stinger95
What was the Pioneer model # of your head unit?
SPH-DA210 (appradio3)

Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 PM

Is the bypass just to defeat the parking break switch? If so, can't one just either ground the wire (if it's grounded when break is set) or connect to the power (if it's hot when break is set)?

Old 01-30-2014, 12:20 AM

Curious about the parking brake bypass. I just installed a Pioneer AVHX-2500BT (which I love) and could not get the bypass thing to work. The problem was that on my model you had to engage the parking brake, release, and engage again for the DVD to play.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by stinger95
Curious about the parking brake bypass. I just installed a Pioneer AVHX-2500BT (which I love) and could not get the bypass thing to work. The problem was that on my model you had to engage the parking brake, release, and engage again for the DVD to play.

Thats how it is with all bypasses, and thats why you need to use a relay because the relay clicks on then off then on and tricks the radio into thinking it was the parking break. did you run your wires this same way?

Old 02-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Default Help Please

Originally Posted by Loria_03
Hey guys just installed my app radio in my 2006 hummer h3 with monsoon
and couldn't really find any specific installation instructions so i figured id make one up as i go, to help some of you guys out.

Things you will need - 7mm ratchet or nut driver, Pliers with crimp or crimping/stripping tool, box of at least 16 crimps/connectors, small box(6-10) 8mm screws no longer than 1/2 inch(this is what i needed with the app radio not sure if it applies for all radios), METRA GMOS-04 WIRING HARNESS if you have monsoon, METRA GMOS-01 if you do not (you can tell by looking at your subwoofer in the back it will have the monsoon logo if you have it), SCOSCHE GM1595 IN-DASH INSTALLATION KIT

Optional - If you want to install a bypass, you will need a 4 or 5 pin 12v accessory relay with pins numbered 30,85,86,87,87a. small roll of wire(i used 16 gauge), small box of Female disconnects (4 or more) make sure the gauge matches your wire.

First things first removing the old radio - This is really a breeze in this truck, disconnect your battery(not necessary but recommended), then put your gear shifter all the way down to 1 and put on your parking brake. Insert your two fingers into the holes for the lighters and pull up and out the whole bezel will pop out, then disconnect all the harnesses behind it, you can leave the hazard lights connected and put the bezel ontop of your dash. Then you will find your radio being held in by 4 7mm bolts, unscrew these and the radio will basically fall out so make sure you hold it before removing the last one. Put these to the side and do not lose these bolts. now disconnect the harnesses from your radio
and take it out, very simple but that was the easy part.

Now connecting the GMOS-04 to the aftermarket radio, This is also pretty straight forward everything is color matched,(there will be some wires not connected to anything don't freak out its supposed to be like that), The only wire that was not color matched for me was the pink on the harness is the remote wire which connects to the red from the radio.

ALSO OPTIONAL ASWC UNIT: FOR THE HUMMER H3 YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT THE FOLLOWING WIRES FROM THE 12 PIN ASWC HARNESS: WHITE/GREEN, GREEN/ORANGE, AND ORANGE GREEN WIRES

Now that you have the harness connected you are ready to install the SCHOSCHE GM1595 DASH KIT, which is also pretty simple. First click the side brackets into place on the kit panel(black cut out rectangle with mounting holes) now slide the assembly over your head unit, until it stops itself don't force it any farther. now turn the head unit on its side and screw the side bracket into the head unit (mine used 8mm screws 1/2inch) 3-4 screws on each side is fine, Repeat on the opposite side. Hold on to the trim ring and out to the car you go.

Installing the radio - The harnesses will be a direct fit to your stock connectors, just plug it in and tuck your wires, make sure to connect your antenna back in , and if you use the app radio plug in your gps unit, and external microphone(will explain where i ran mine later). Now just hold your radio in place in screw in with the 7mm bolts that held the stock radio in, and connect back all your harnesses for the bezel (4wd, ac, lighters, etc…) the bezel will snap back in as easy as you took it off, now you can snap in your trim ring by just pushing it in the space around your head unit (you will hear it click into place). You are now done and have installed your new radio, see below for installing a bypass and where i ran my microphone.

OPTIONAL BYPASS-(pics below) Take your relay and connect ground wires to both pins 86 and 87, jump a remote wire from your head unit to pin 85, and connect the parking brake wire coming off of your head unit to pin 30, and you are done

External Microphone - (pics below) I chose to run mine right under the steering wheel where you would adjust it up or down there is a small space that the stock clip it comes with will snap right on to, and it won't affect your steering wheels range of motion, tuck the excess wire up under the kick panel and thats it.

Sorry for this being so long and boring just wanted to make sure i listed everything i could think of, Feel free to pm me with any questions!

Good Day!
I u derstood everything except where I can get power for my after market Pioneer 2 Din radio. I have every thing hooked up perfectly ,but cannot find a spot to plug my power from. Also I will be adding a backup camera so how do I get that working doesnt it have to be wired to a reverse somewhere?? Please help.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM

METRA GMOS-04 WIRING HARNESS is crazy expensive ($100 Canadian). My head unit is toast. It was also draining my battery with the amperage from the memory.

I would like to find a cheap alternative for the stock 6CD changer with Monsoon amp/sub woofer.

Also, there is a 12 pin adapter in the rear of the stock head unit...is that for On-Star or XM? If so, I don't think I need or want that.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Quick Reply: HOW TO : INSTALL AFTERMARKET RADIO (pioneer appradio 3)