Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

how to check oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 05:55 PM
Default how to check oil level?

Don't dog me for the obvious answer. Sometimes the engine oil level won't read correctly. All other things being equal, one day I check it and it could be .25" different on the dip stick from the previous day. I've seen it happen multiple times over the years. This morning I checked the oil and it was just above low/add, so thinking I was getting another mis-read, I cranked the engine and let it run ~1min. Rechecked it and the oil wasn't even on the dipstick! I added 1/4qt of oil. I checked again after I got back from church and it was 3/4 full (.25% below full mark)!

What can cause the oil not to read inconsistently?

I have to check the oil often because it apparently burns a lot - so disappointing! It has 109k miles.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Operator error will cause confusion.

You cannot start the engine, let it run, then check the oil on the dipstick immediately as the motor oil was just pumped throughout the engine and enough of it has not seeped back into the oil pan where the dip stick measures it. That would be setting yourself up for a low oil level reading.

Check engine oil 1) after the motor cools or before you start it; 2) must be parked on level surface; 3) pull dip stick and observe, wipe clean; and 4) re-insert dipstick, pull out dipstick and observe the oil level.

Next time you drive home, park in a level spot. Wait an hour then go check the oil.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Default Truth...

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

You cannot start the engine, let it run, then check the oil on the dipstick immediately as the motor oil was just pumped throughout the engine and enough of it has not seeped back into the oil pan where the dip stick measures it. That would be setting yourself up for a low oil level reading.

Check engine oil 1) after the motor cools or before you start it; 2) must be parked on level surface; 3) pull dip stick and observe, wipe clean; and 4) re-insert dipstick, pull out dipstick and observe the oil level.

Next time you drive home, park in a level spot. Wait an hour then go check the oil.
Agree with above. I believe it does not hurt to overfill slightly oil. Modern seals are superior to the old motors that would push oil.
Better a little over than under is my theory on oil fills.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM

Yeah, I do know the basics. I didn't immediately check the oil after turning off the engine. I always park in the same level spot when do the check.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:34 PM

Could it be the variable valve timing valve/solenoid? Could it be holding oil in the head (or somewhere) in some scenario when the engine is turned off?

Last edited by Justinh; 12-25-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Justinh
Could the variable valve timing valve/solenoid? Could it be holding oil in the head (or somewhere) in some scenario when the engine is turned off?
Yes, it's quite possible, I've had it before.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:24 PM
Thumbs up

By the way, about the oil, I can say that it should also be chosen wisely. You have to look at the make of the car and of course the engine. There is no way without it. Because otherwise you can quickly put it down and then you have to change it, and I don't think anybody wants that. So I can say, that here, you should think about reading information about motor oil for cummins 6.7 https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-cummins-6-7/ and pick up from there. Then some sense will be, besides it will be possible to pick up the best oil.

By the way, I already did this trick with the dipstick and it helped afterwards.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:24 PM
Thumbs up

By the way, about the oil, I can say that it should also be chosen wisely. You have to look at the make of the car and of course the engine. There is no way without it. Because otherwise you can quickly put it down and then you have to change it, and I don't think anybody wants that. So I can say, that here, you should think about reading information about motor oil for cummins 6.7 https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-cummins-6-7/ and pick up from there. Then some sense will be, besides it will be possible to pick up the best oil.

By the way, I already did this trick with the dipstick and it helped afterwards.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 AM

simple... got it. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM

Thanks,helpful information

Quick Reply: how to check oil level?