Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help! Installing new stereo for son's birthday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:38 PM

those crimps are not good for really hot locations. they use a low melting point solder and they really don't have enough solder to really wet the larger wires.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:51 PM

We already paid for the adapter that Cruchfield packages for Hummers so that is what we went with. It seems to be working correctly with the replacement black box.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:54 PM

I'm also having a similar issue my Alpine ILX-650 in regard to the park brake wire. I wired it up correctly, but I am unable to access the Alpine's settings with the park brake set. I'm using the same Axxess interface from Crutchfield. Did you contact Crutchfield and they sent you a new "box thing" for free?

Old 08-23-2020, 06:29 PM

Yes and they sent us a new one. It works now. The old one would only chime about 2x before going silent and the replacement will go all day if you can stand it.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:19 PM

Alrighty, thanks. Did your initial one have any other issues other than the park brake issue? Mine is all up and working fine but the only issue is I can’t access my Alpine’s settings even though the car has park brake on. I triple checked and my park brake is properly wired through my black box.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by searay93
Alrighty, thanks. Did your initial one have any other issues other than the park brake issue? Mine is all up and working fine but the only issue is I can’t access my Alpine’s settings even though the car has park brake on. I triple checked and my park brake is properly wired through my black box.
Where did you get your park brake?

Old 08-23-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Where did you get your park brake?
By park brake I am referring to the wire connection for the park brake circuit that goes through my GMOS box to my Alpine head unit

Old 08-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by searay93

Our chime did not work correctly either.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:08 PM

How about speakers? We are looking at the $45 Rockford Fosgates from Crutchfield. Any reason why we should not go with these?

Which size? 6.5 or 6.75? It looks like both will fit with the adapters that Crutchfield throws in.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bassackwards
How about speakers? We are looking at the $45 Rockford Fosgates from Crutchfield. Any reason why we should not go with these?

Which size? 6.5 or 6.75? It looks like both will fit with the adapters that Crutchfield throws in.
Either will fit, and you do not need any adapters. I put P1650 6.5" 2 ways in the front doors, and P1675 6.75" 3 ways in the back doors using XTC Baffles with the bottoms cut out for moisture protection, after Dynamat Extreme to the bottom 12" of the outer door skins, and some to the inner skins. I am very pleased with the upgrade over the OEM speakers, HUGE! Not talking about volume, but sound quality.

Still using my OEM 6 disc changer until I score an Alpine ILX-W650 deal and have time to play with it, ..... hence my interest in this thread.

Question, did you need any head unit surround to tightly fit the factory opening?

Quick Reply: Help! Installing new stereo for son's birthday!