Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help - broken timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Default Help - broken timing chain

I bought a wrecked 2006 H3 from the salvage auction and the hood was pushed into the valve cover and broke the timing chain. I installed a new timing chain set in the engine and it vibrates badly when I start it. Is it possible to be 180 degrees off time? Since the chain was broke the original timing was lost. I aligned the timing marks and black links per the instructions but something is wrong. I have not run the engine for more than a couple minutes. I'm not sure if the cam sensors have learned their position.

I did not replace the timing chain on the rear of the engine that runs the balancing shafts. Do these need to be in time with the cams?

There are no trouble codes.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:14 PM

Also, I was getting a P0601 code so I replaced the PCM. I also replaced the cam position sensors.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:40 AM

then you need to do a crankshaft variation relearn with a good scan tool like a tech2 or equivalent.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amccoy
I bought a wrecked 2006 H3 from the salvage auction and the hood was pushed into the valve cover and broke the timing chain. I installed a new timing chain set in the engine and it vibrates badly when I start it. Is it possible to be 180 degrees off time? Since the chain was broke the original timing was lost. I aligned the timing marks and black links per the instructions but something is wrong. I have not run the engine for more than a couple minutes. I'm not sure if the cam sensors have learned their position.

I did not replace the timing chain on the rear of the engine that runs the balancing shafts. Do these need to be in time with the cams?

Thanks for the help.
If you set the timing correctly, then it could not be 180 degrees off. I do not believe a GM Atlas I5 can even run 180 degrees off... with V8s it is possible, not I5s. I assume you lined those chain links with the Exhaust & Intake cams as well as the crank.

The balance shafts have to be in time for smooth idle.

If a collision broke the front chain, what else did it break?????

Old 12-29-2021, 11:42 AM
Default Update

Update
After letting it run for a minute or so it does eventually throw a code. P0300 - Random misfire.
I'm fairly certain that the #1 cylinder isn't firing, I put new plugs in it when I did the timing chain. All the plug have some blackness on them except the #1 plug, it looks like it just came out of the box. I've moved the coil around and the problem seems to stay at the #1 cylinder. I also tried another plug. Currently checking out the wiring.

Is the crank relearn required because I changed the PCM? Could that cause the misfire issues I'm having?

I had the cam gears, crank gear, and black chain links lined up like shown in the engine manual. Is it possible for the crank to be 1 turn out of phase? I assumed not since it's not a mechanically driven distributor.

When I installed the new exhaust cam gear actuator it did not seem to have any rotational play. The cams were dead level across the back and the text on the actuator gear was also level. Did I do this correctly?

Old 12-29-2021, 02:16 PM

yes. a crank relearn is needed after replacement of a PCM, timing components or a crank sensor.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:13 PM

My TECH2 programmer arrived. I plan to try the crank position relearn procedure tomorrow. Do I just follow the same process as the guys on youtube? I won't be able to warm the engine since the thing barely stays running and I don't want to cause any damage. Does this take multiple iterations to dial it in or is once enough? Any key info I need to use the TECH2 scanner?

Just a reminder of the state my car is in. The timing chain was broke so the original crank/cam timing was lost. Also the PCM was replaced.

2nd topic, what do the balance shafts actually balance? Is it the crank? These are new to me.

Thanks so much.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:10 PM

the relearn takes literally 2 minutes. once is enough no trick to it it is a straight forward process the tech2 will guide you through it.