Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Head Job

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:03 PM
Default Head Job

HELP!!!!!!
Can anyone give me some advice on doing a replacement head on my H3 2006. I'm frustrated and not sure which road to go down, I love this car but I believe the #4 cylinder is now bad. Not sure if I should attempt to do this myself or pay someone to. I got a guy in Florida that does great rebuilds on heads but I'm torn about taking it apart myself. I have done a lot of engine work in the past but never pulled the top end off a hummer. So far I have only had to replace the steering rack. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 AM

I think you would be better off letting the shop do it. Will the guy that rebuilds the head remove and install it for you? Does he operate a machine shop?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

To replace an I5 head you need a special GM tool (basically a timing chain holder) and there is a very high degree of frustration associated with it. Almost for sure you are going to break at least on bolt when pulling the exhaust manifold bolts. If the chain slips off the tool holding it from the top, then you have to pull the front cover to get the chain back in position and timed correctly. The head bolts are torque to yield and need to be replace not reused.

That job never seems to go smoothly, do not be in a hurry if you take a crack at it.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Yes agreed, here it is 2 years later car is still sitting. I’m not sure what to do with this H3. Wife wants to drive it. I’m to the point of just looking for an engine replacement but I don’t want the inline 5, this engine is crap

Old 03-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Exclamation 2006 H3 Engine Replacement

ok here it is 2 years later and a bunch of payments. This thing is just about paid for and has not been driven for the past 2 years. The number 4 cylinder is bad, I tried replacing the intake manifold but that wasn’t it. My new goal is to look into replacing the whole engine and tranny. Can anyone advise as to what engine would be the best to replace it with and also where to purchase one. Any advise would greatly appreciated. Oh ya I have a perfectly good intake manifold if anyone is interested in it, I’ll give you a great deal.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

You cannot just plug in any engine. Whole lot more work than that. The H3 started production with an I5 for a reason (underhood suspension clearance). That had to be re-designed to fit the LH8.

The best replacement is sitting in your H3 now, fix it. One bad cylinder is usually valve train related.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 AM

I hear you, I have looked into it. The cost of a new remanufactured is is the same as if I pay someone to do it. The problem is finding the right one.