Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Reduced power mode with locks and window not working

Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Default H3 Reduced power mode with locks and window not working

Hi, new member for posting but I've used the site for diagnostics before so thank you for helping in the past.

My 2006 H3 recently started misbehaving. Power locks do not work from any switch or remote (though it still "thinks" it is locking), and the driver's window does not go down, but the controls for all the other windows still work. Starting was a little sluggish now that we are in the cold Wisconsin winter. My battery was fairly old so I replaced it.

I did the trick of holding the cables together as well as letting it sit with the battery disconnected and none of that changed the driver's door symptoms. Now this morning, I started it and it went into reduced power mode and gave me a TPS code (I cleared it with my scanner already but I believe it was P0121 as I've had that before in extreme cold). It was parked in the garage so it was not terribly cold. I just cleaned the throttle body and have a heater aimed at it, but still no luck.

I now have a battery light on the dash that is new. It will not run long enough to give me any new codes.

My question is: could this all be related and due to a short or broken wire possibly in my door harness? I ask because it all showed up around the same time and several years ago my wife had a Trailblazer that went into electrical fits after the left from evap cylinder circuit corroded and shorted out. We unplugged the connector and it did fine.

I greatly appreciate any advice. I'm no pro, but I do as much as I can for maintenance. If I missed anything for details or need to test something else please let me know.

John

Old 01-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JRugotzke
Hi, new member for posting but I've used the site for diagnostics before so thank you for helping in the past.

My 2006 H3 recently started misbehaving. Power locks do not work from any switch or remote (though it still "thinks" it is locking), and the driver's window does not go down, but the controls for all the other windows still work. Starting was a little sluggish now that we are in the cold Wisconsin winter. My battery was fairly old so I replaced it.

I did the trick of holding the cables together as well as letting it sit with the battery disconnected and none of that changed the driver's door symptoms. Now this morning, I started it and it went into reduced power mode and gave me a TPS code (I cleared it with my scanner already but I believe it was P0121 as I've had that before in extreme cold). It was parked in the garage so it was not terribly cold. I just cleaned the throttle body and have a heater aimed at it, but still no luck.

I now have a battery light on the dash that is new. It will not run long enough to give me any new codes.

My question is: could this all be related and due to a short or broken wire possibly in my door harness? I ask because it all showed up around the same time and several years ago my wife had a Trailblazer that went into electrical fits after the left from evap cylinder circuit corroded and shorted out. We unplugged the connector and it did fine.

I greatly appreciate any advice. I'm no pro, but I do as much as I can for maintenance. If I missed anything for details or need to test something else please let me know.

John
The first thing you should do is double check that your battery terminals are tight and making good contact after you replaced the battery. If you have the OEM terminals, they are known to cause electrical issues if they aren't making a good connection (they aren't very good). For me, it was making my head unit blink on and off and other strange things like that. Replacing the battery terminals to something better fixed that. Also, I had the exact same issue you're describing with the door locks and windows after I disconnected my battery to work on my hvac controls. I don't know the reason why, but the way I fixed it was to disconnect the master switch from the drivers door, and heat it up with a hair dryer. Then my doors started locking again and all the windows worked. The only time that ever happened to me was when I disconnected my battery, so I think your issues are related to the battery.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have new terminals on the way, hopefully be here on Friday. I did get it to run again after trickle charging the battery, cleaning terminals and clamping them together while disconnected for the charge, pulling the BCM fuse, disconnecting the master switch and then reconnecting. I will try warming it up as I just put it back in loosely. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Every H3 need better Battery Terminal Connectors.

Your problem is not uncommon and is caused by the dead battery and/or a bad connection to the battery.

Good news is, if you can chill out long enough, just drive it for a few ignition cycles and it may resolve itself.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:16 PM

Hi guys, I too had the issue(s) with the door locks/driver's window as well as when my wife went to start it after I worked on the ECT sensor, which I replaced and disconnected the battery
the vehicle would not start and when she, my wife, went to take here keys out the locking mech wouldn't allow it.
So I put the jumper cables on and low and behold there was power and the H started but the window and locks still will not work and it has been 4 days. So I'm going to try the battery connection
replacement as well and trickle charge the battery to see if this changes anything.
The H gave us similar issues with the door locks and the window about 2 years or so ago but it cleared up on it's own.

And while I'm asking for direction, the horn wants to blare when you turn to the right or left intermittently and I'm not sure what the issue is, any suggestions?
Sure like this form, lots of good answers and it is the first place I go to when the H is not running well.
It is a 2006 H3 lux addition that has 61,000 miles on it or 109,560 kms.

thanks and I wait your knowledgeable replies.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Cool

The horn problem is something I'm dealing with. It seems over time the air bag can develop a short in the horn plate. It first starts out as beeping when you turn and progresses to staying on constantly. Warm temperatures only make it worse. I currently have my horn fuse pulled and will eventually replace my airbag.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info on the window/driver side & door lock issues as well as the horn.
I left the positive battery cable off over night, when I get home today I will see if this did the trick.
If not I will try the magic of touching the cables together after disconnecting them and leaving them for 10 mins.
I will post the outcome.

Thanks again for all your info guys and gals!!

Old 02-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Same here, my battery was the culprit. Hummers don't like low batteries. New battery & poof, no issues.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ems191
If not I will try the magic of touching the cables together after disconnecting them and leaving them for 10 mins.

Thanks again for all your info guys and gals!!
Touching battery cables together on a GM vehicle does nothing, it is not a Ford.

You only need to disconnect the + side for about 20 seconds, like a PC reboot.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:46 PM

So far no change in my door controls. It had started and ran fine. Being without central lock kind of sucks. Glad I live in the sticks and don't have to worry too much about locking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H3 Reduced power mode with locks and window not working