Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Performance Intake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Default H3 Performance Intake Systems

Hello all: With the help of Patrick and Amanda at HummerForums.com, I am pleased to announce the availability of a new, high performance, high quality, performance intake for the 2006/2007 Hummer H3 and 2004/07 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon!!

I just could not find a system on the market to do what should be done, the right way, so I made my own:

Introducing the AirDocIntakes.com 2006/07 H3 application.

Name:  AirDocConfi2.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  146.4 KB

Side view
Name:  AirDocL.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  139.1 KB

Fell free to check my fledgling website for more details and the marketing pitch.

Currently$155.99, plus $15.00 shipping, complete kit with NO air filter.
Shipping Note: $15.00 to the 48 US States, extra to HI, AK, PR, Canada, Mexico and over seas. Please request a shipping quote if you have any questions.

No air filter you say??? This is because I do not make or sell performance air filters. I recommend that you buy and use any aftermarket air filter you prefer.
A list for those who want part numbers:
2006-2007 Performance Air Filters:
Brand Mfg Part # Appx. Retail
K&N: E-0773 $43.00
Green: 2499 $63.00
Fram Air Hog: PRA9778 $45.00
Airaid 800-142 $50.00
True Flow (foam)10297$33.00
AFE 1010096 $47.00
S&B Filters W-0773 $36.00 .....(thanks GunnyRet for this input)

I personally use K&N Air filters in every vehicle I have.

Why should you buy an AirDocIntake? Not a brand name from several manufactures already on the market?
First, AirDocIntakes us the best materials available for a quality finished kit.
Let's start with the lungs. Everybody uses a 3.0" diameter pipe, most all are plastic. [:'(]
AirDoc pipes are 3.5" diameter all steel, TIG welded, mandrel bent with alligned pipe design!
Sealed with two coats of primer, and two coats of hammered black paint.

The Couplers are 4 ply silicone 4.5MM thick, to withstand up to 500 degrees F in turbo or intercooler applications, more than needed x4 for an intake system.

We also now have applications for the 2008/09 H3 and H3T 3.7L and Alpha, 2008/09 Colorado/Canyon, including the 2009 V8s.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 01-12-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H3 Hummer Perormance Intakes Systems

A quick side note, rather than go over to the sister forum board for Colorado/Canyons I have a one time offer to extend through our membership.
Yes I know this is HummerForums, but a member herr may be able to help out a friend or family member with an I5 powered Colorado/Canyon if that friend of family member lives in the Detroit area.
I havean AirDocIntake kit ready for market for the Colorado/Canyon, but need a test vehicle (yes I can rent one, but I want to log miles and follow performance before I go public). If anyone here has a good friend/family member, coworker....with an 05-07 I5 Colorado or Canyon in the Detroit area, please put them in touch with me. I will give them a kit, install it, and ask in return only a minimal commitment to keep in touch and follow the testing.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 01-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to try to be as thorough with this as I can.

I've been testing this system for Doc forabout 3 weeks already, and it's quite impressive once the computer adjusts to it.

Overall: On the 3.5L I5, the engine runs considerably smoother, especially at higher RPMs. Once you get above 4k RPMs, where-as before the engine would be vibrating and gasping for air, it's just as smooth as it is at the lower RPMs.

Performance: There is more torque at lower RPMs then there was before.The torque kicks in around 1.5k RPMs and stays consitant all the way up to 6k. This is probably the most impressive change I've noticed. Before, the acceleration curve slowed down after 4.5k or so, but now it feels as if there is the same rate or amount of power throughout the spectrum, meaning that you don't feel the H3 slow down at higher RPM's as you used to. Now that it's getting enough air, it seems to have fixed this.

Sound: Again with the engine vibrations; I switched from 87 octane to 93 a while back which made the engine smoother and vibrate less when idling. For testing purposes, I switched back to 87 octane a week or two before I installed the kit, and noticed the engine was running a little rough again, or normal for most people. Once I installed the kit, it was running smooth. This means it's also much quieter. I noticed that right away. When you are driving you hear much less of the engine then you did before. In MY H3, I would say the engine noise level has gone down at least 30 to 40%. It's quieter in the garage, quieter on the street and definitely quieter on the highway.

Acceleration: Again, it's quicker. It's not leaps and bounds though, but keep in mind, I do have the PCMforLess tune, so that may have something to do with my results, but I already had a K&N filter so it was for the most part already adjusted to higher air flow. There is a change in acceleration. I'm a bit lead-footed these days because of it. You can't help but want to punch it when the engine doesn't struggle anymore at the higher RPM's. It's definitely faster. I can't really give you an estimate at how much faster since I drive the 5-speed, but it's there. There's less of a delay when you hit the gas then there was before either.

Mileage: I'm still figuring that out. I burned through the first couple of tanks flooring it everytime, so I was a little carried away with the extra power, but I needed to test it to see what changes there were, and especially after noticing the upper RPM differences, wanted to keep going to see how far it could go. I will tell you all this though; I emailed Doc and told him the mileage seemed to be about the same, but then realized I had been driving with my defogger/recirculate on most of the time I was testing it, so I got almost the same mileage with it turned on that I did with it off and the original equipment. Right now, I'm testing my first tank of gas under normal conditions for me, which is 30+ degrees, highway driving with the vent open. I'll let you all know what I find. So far, I think it's better, but not sure how much until I run another tank or two and can record my calculations correctly and figure out exaclty how much more I'm getting. I should know that by this weekend hopefully.

Installation: Pretty easy actually. For those of you who know how to do this stuff, you probably won't need the manual, but I HIGHLY recommend it for the simple fact of getting the three different clamp sizes in the right places. The directions are VERY specific, so you may have to read a few times what to do, but I gave him some pointers on tweaking them so the novice can understand it better. I think between my feedback and his changes they are right on the money.

So, overall I would say it

Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM

How about for us Alpha owners????

Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

An Air Doc Intake for the 2008 H3, including Alpha will be released as soon as an aftermarket performance filter is available. Email your favorite brands and tell them to get a move on with a 2008 H3 filter. Alpha and I5 sharethe same air filter, GM Part Number:15942429.

Look for it soon, long before the other intake makers haveone available to you.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the new forum. I look forward to Trey buying one of these so I can install it.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you MuddyD.

Unfortunately, these things only take approximately 30-40 minutes to install, so there won't be much time to enjoy payment for the install from Trey. [8D]

All the kits come with a 4 page set of instructionswith reference photos. On a scale of 10, 10being the most difficult, these kits are about a 2.5 to install. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Anyone can install one with basic tools.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Just ordered one from ya Doc.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Rich, you have been PMed.

When I release the 2008s, I will make a PINK one for the wife's truck.

Thank you.

Questions about the AirDocIntake system are welcomed.
I have build, paint, testing, install, and lots of other pics.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Congrats!!! Doc, maybe you should get HummerGuy to make up a video for you like he did for his Night Rider lights and post it on youtube

BTW a little typo in your subject:[8D]

Quick Reply: H3 Performance Intake Systems