Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 little issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:34 AM

I will clean MAF and TB over the weekend

Old 05-21-2018, 02:03 AM

About your fuel additive. I swear by that stuff. I use plenty of BG products on my vehicles and I have to disagree with the Doc about BG 44K being some miracle cleaner. It actually works! It will keep the injectors clean. Put a can in the tank once a year. Make sure you don't spill that stuff on your paint because your paint will disappear. Off topic, I use BG Hi-L0w30 plus MOA every oil change. Also have the BG Dexron VI in the transmission. I keep meaning to put the Syncro Shift II in the transfer case and Ultra Guard Heavy Duty 75w-140 in the front and rear diffs.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 AM

I have been using BG products for years, in my Duramax, BMW and never had an issue. This H3 I purchased seemed to sit more than driven. I took out yesterday for about 50 miles and everything seems fine.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WR3NCHE4D
About your fuel additive. I swear by that stuff. I use plenty of BG products on my vehicles and I have to disagree with the Doc about BG 44K being some miracle cleaner. It actually works! It will keep the injectors clean. Put a can in the tank once a year. Make sure you don't spill that stuff on your paint because your paint will disappear. Off topic, I use BG Hi-L0w30 plus MOA every oil change. Also have the BG Dexron VI in the transmission. I keep meaning to put the Syncro Shift II in the transfer case and Ultra Guard Heavy Duty 75w-140 in the front and rear diffs.
Yeah, cleans GrandMa's dentures, makes fish bite, grows hair on a cue ball and keeps fleas off the dog too.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:43 PM

Doc. It will clean grandMa's dentures and after using it make her food taste weird. It won't make fish bite. You have that confused with WD-40. Butter, not 44K, will make hair grow on a cue ball. Don't have a dog to experiment with the fleas.

Hoff. Cleaning the MAF and throttle body cures some random misfires on the 5cyl Atlas motors. You might have to do that once a year as preventive maintenance. Just a suggestion. I would do a BG induction to get the intake cleaned up.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Sounds good wr3nch, I will do the MAF. The H3 stated to run a little rough again at a stop/idle, will a dirty MAF put a little cause to this?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 PM

A dirty MAF can cause driveability problem such as rough idle. It's a cheap easy repair before starting to dig deep and spending money. Just remember that the I5's are not known for a smooth idle. The engine is unbalanced by design even with counter balance shafts. An I6, like the one you would find in a BMW, is a well balanced motor and will idle smoothly. Don't compare the two.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:51 AM

Hoff, cleaning the TB and MAF (with MAF CLEANER ONLY) every oil change along with checking all of the under hood fluids and air filter is a good maintenance habit to get into and will keep your H3 running well into the future.

If you do have an issue you will know it is not the MAF or TB being dirty and you can tackle the issue directly.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 AM

Cleaned MAF and TB, a little dirty, not too bad and went ahead and replaced 1 ignition coil just for fun. Seems better, ran around in it all day. No CEL so all gooder! Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM

Update: took H3 to dealer, my buddy did a look over and put computer on it, said everything looks good, the roughness is nature of that motor, which I read already here, the only code that is stored in main computer is the PO300, which will not effect my smog check. 1 motor mount looks weak/cracked but will not cure the roughness, will get that fixed at next oil change. He gave it a thumbs up and blamed it on old fuel.

Quick Reply: H3 little issues?