Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 little issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Default H3 little issues?

I just purchased a 06 H3, did not pass smog due to OBDII sensor. Took to Chevy dealer and had to update H3 computer. Done. Went today to CA Referee Smog Station. All passed until last minute when CEL light came on, P0305. I have been driving this H3 for almost 2 weeks without a issue. I filled up with 89 at Chevron and added BG44K injection cleaner on the way to inspection. Any thoughts?
I put new tread on her and raised the torsion up 1-1/2 inches and looks nice.

Attached Thumbnails H3 little issues?-c34a56c4-6698-469f-9168-b853d3d94a2a.jpeg  
Old 05-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Oh, I also read on here about the last 8 of vin, and mine is above.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

My thought is to stop blowing $$ on any other Octane than 87 and forget miracle fuel cleaners, just always use quality 87 fuel.

An easy way to see if you have a (P0305) misfire at #5 is to swap out the Coil On Plug pack #5 to a different cylinder .... say #2 etc., write that down so you can remember where it went. Clear the code and drive it another tank of quality 87 fuel. See if the CEL comes back. If it does throw a code, see if the code followed the COP #5 to its new location at #2 (P0302).

If it does not throw a code its all good.

If it throws a P0302, then you know the old COP from #5 needs to be replaced. If it still kicks a P0305, let us know, there are more things to be done. You are welcome to search what to do with a misfire code meanwhile.

More likely to be a bad/tired COP than something else. Do the easy stuff first.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the info Doc. Can you point me in the right direction to read up on changing/swapping the COP?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Cleared the P0305 and drove a few mile and didn’t come back on. It has been sitting, so I went back out and started, let idle for about 3 min and got code P0300, multiple misfire? Cleared P0300, started back up, let idle for 5 min and no code or CEL.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:04 PM

where can I find part number for ignition coil? Needs to be oem/acdelco correct? I ask due to search box not helping me! I think I found on Amazon for $98, is this about right?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 PM

Swapped #5 and #2 coils, it actually idled a little smoother? Drove and no CEL.... yet! If it does come on, hope it is P0302.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hoff
Cleared the P0305 and drove a few mile and didn’t come back on. It has been sitting, so I went back out and started, let idle for about 3 min and got code P0300, multiple misfire? Cleared P0300, started back up, let idle for 5 min and no code or CEL.
P0300 is random misfire, means the knock sensor and spark input to the PCM thinks it might be detecting a misfire, but it is not consistent enough to be sure where, or it may be moving. That may actually be good, because it may be fuel injector related (your magic juice may have busted some crud loose causing and temporary irregular fuel injector pulse). That is where my comment came from originally, drive a tank of quality 87 through it and it should settle down.

I have heard of people adding fuel cleaner to older vehicles and within days/miles, the fuel pump toasted. Theory being, an old fuel tank has gunk inside stuck to the tank walls/floor ..... You add cleaner, it dissipates the gunk which then gets into the fuel pump causing it to be under additional strain pumping gunk and fuel until it dies.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:27 PM

I'd start by giving it a tune up and some new C.O.P's... Then clean MAF and TB. Possibly add a new air filter too. Seeings how you just got it and probably ready for some tlc.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:32 AM

Thanks Doc and Happy, I will not add anymore magic dust... I mean juice, and fill next tank with 87. I did replace air filter, looked good but did it anyway. I have a friend that is a mechanic at my local Chevrolet dealership, talked to him for awhile about it, he is getting me a price on ignition coils, so if price is right, I will change all 5. I will bring H3 to him for “oil change” so he can give her a look over, but will wait till after memorial weekend.

Quick Reply: H3 little issues?