Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 HVAC control unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Thanks

Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM

I am at a total loss here. The new HVAC control unit arrived and I installed it. At first the mode dial wouldn't do anything, and I got frustrated and let it sit overnight. Now the mode dial works, but it still goes all the way to defrost one click from full face, and temp still goes all the way warm one click off all the way cold. I recalibrated, put in a new battery since there was a bad cell in the old one, and still the same issue. This is so frustrating Any other suggestions?

Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 PM

Some of the functions work incorrectly on those when installed on an H3
The ones for the Soltice that is. Big discussion on this or another forum a few years back.

Last edited by RKSmith163; 01-17-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:27 PM

Some customers may complain that the temperature will go to full hot when they turn the
temperature control one click off of full cold. The control head is defaulting to Emergency Mode
(this provides HOT air for safety reasons which would be available to clear the windshield in
Defrost mode). This will happen if the feedback voltage for the air temperature actuators are out
of range.

Self-Calibration procedures:

After installing a temperature control or blend door actuator move the heater ac control dial all the way to one direction before you turn on the key for the first time. Turn the key on it moves to the end of its travel and turns off. With the key still on move the controller in the complete opposite direction. The motor will run in that direction as far as it will go and turn off. At this point it will have learned the complete range of travel all the way from cold to hot or defroster to the heater vent.

Turn the blower switch on speed 3 and set the temperature dial 1/4-1/2 from full cold.
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Reconnect battery and start vehicle.
DO NOT TOUCH the a/c controls.
Let the engine run for 1-2 minutes.
Turn the ignition off for at least 10 seconds but no more than 30 seconds.
Restart the engine and then test the a/c controls.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:14 PM

thank you! I will try 1 and 2 when I get home shortly. Odd thing (maybe) - when I calibrate with the manual method this new control unit just blinks all three lights like one time. The old model would blink like 10 times or more. Could be nothing.

Originally Posted by hummerz
Some customers may complain that the temperature will go to full hot when they turn the
temperature control one click off of full cold. The control head is defaulting to Emergency Mode
(this provides HOT air for safety reasons which would be available to clear the windshield in
Defrost mode). This will happen if the feedback voltage for the air temperature actuators are out
of range.

Self-Calibration procedures:

After installing a temperature control or blend door actuator move the heater ac control dial all the way to one direction before you turn on the key for the first time. Turn the key on it moves to the end of its travel and turns off. With the key still on move the controller in the complete opposite direction. The motor will run in that direction as far as it will go and turn off. At this point it will have learned the complete range of travel all the way from cold to hot or defroster to the heater vent.

Turn the blower switch on speed 3 and set the temperature dial 1/4-1/2 from full cold.
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes.
Reconnect battery and start vehicle.
DO NOT TOUCH the a/c controls.
Let the engine run for 1-2 minutes.
Turn the ignition off for at least 10 seconds but no more than 30 seconds.
Restart the engine and then test the a/c controls.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 PM

Hummerz - tried all procedures. Problem persists.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TechnoSean
Odd thing (maybe) - when I calibrate with the manual method this new control unit just blinks all three lights like one time. The old model would blink like 10 times or more. Could be nothing.
That's not good! Calibration takes longer than 1 flash. Just start over, disconnect battery, remove residual memory, reconnect battery, and try the first test I posted above. Remember you need patience, before proceeding in any step. Wait for it. GL

Old 01-17-2020, 08:32 PM

That's not good! Calibration takes longer than 1 flash. Just start over, disconnect battery, remove residual memory, reconnect battery, and try the first test I posted above. Remember you need patience, before proceeding in any step. Wait for it. GL
i disconnected the battery and am going to leave it off overnight. Will get back at it in the morning. It’s very odd that the manual calibration blinks just once. The control unit is definitely a brand new part, and the right part number.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 PM

What's the country of manufacturer on the controller?

Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 PM

What's the country of manufacturer on the controller?
i think it said Mexico, but I’ll pull it out and look in the morning. I’ve reached my “time to step away for the night” point. Plus - its George t stagg whiskey time 😂

Quick Reply: H3 HVAC control unit