Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Front end parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Default H3 Front end parts

I took my 2006 H3 in for an alignment and was told all my front end parts are worn out and need to be replaced. I am having a hard time finding parts without getting taken to the cleaners by the dealer. I am holding off on purchasing my upper control arms for now and just focusing on the lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, sway links, and the rack bushing. Any suggestions for where to buy parts? I usually use Advance Auto but they dont cary very many of the parts I need. Someone told me about RockAuto but they dont have the best reviews on BBB.

Does anyone have experience with the Mevotech ball joints that JC Whitney sells?

Mevotech Mevotech Ball Joint OE replacement - JCWhitney .

The only issue is they are greased ball joints and I believe the OEM ones dont require greasing.

The Moog sway links also look like they have grease fittings :-/
More Information for MOOG K750185

I have had a hard time finding outer tie rod ends. Rockauto is the only place I can find them (except for the stealer... I mean dealer.)
2006 HUMMER H3 Tie Rod End

For the rack bushing, I want to get something as close to OEM as possible. Most of the solutions I have seen require an over priced aftermarket bracket. $200-300 for a mounting bracket is outrageous. I could almost buy a new rack for that. Anybody have any experience
New Power Steering Rack Mounting Kit for Hummer H3 Wagon 8-07

Thanks for your help and input!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:38 PM

I haveiceve used rock auto and never had any problems with thire parts or service even when i ordered the wrong part they took my return and sent the correct part

Old 07-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Search ebay and amazon... "Price plus shipping lowest first"..

I recently picked up 4 Monroe "quick struts" (struts, springs, mounting plates in 1) Brand new sealed in boxes, on da'bay (2 different sellers, 3 different part numbers) all shipped to my door within a week of purchase, for a grand total of $264.56 w/shipping. That's over $100.00 less than my local wholesale cost.

Last edited by hummerz; 07-18-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

just upgrade the tierods at Outfitter design. Greased items will last longer as long as you make sure to grease them.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM

When it comes to steering and suspension I wouldn't put JCW stuff on my rigs. Brand name only.

If you are going to replace everything under there do it right the first time.

-Upper control arms/Upper Ball Joints. Yes, you will have to get the upper control arms/upper ball joints from GM. Try the GM online parts stores. They have better pricing. Just watch out for the shipping costs. Sometimes that is where they get you. I prefer www.GMpartshouse.com
-Ball joints and swaybar links - MOOG (grease fittings are a good thing)
-Tie Rod Ends/Steering Rack If you have to replace the tie rod ends you may want to look into replacing the rack and tie rod ends as well. The OEM rack comes WITH the 16MM tie rods! Do the math it may end up saving you $. The 06H3 tie rods are only 14MM. So you are getting larger/stronger tie rods also.
-Steering Rack Kit I'm partial here because I have already done this and love the Outfitter Design Rack Reinforcement Kit. Made a HUGE difference! Hummer H3 Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit - OUTFITTER DESIGN

PS: nothing wrong with rockauto.com I've used them several times with great success.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by daiglesbagels
...For the rack bushing, I want to get something as close to OEM as possible. Most of the solutions I have seen require an over priced aftermarket bracket. $200-300 for a mounting bracket is outrageous. I could almost buy a new rack for that.
In this case , NO you don't !!!
The OEM steering rack mounting bushings and mounting strap design are crap. That's why you see so many aftermarket improvements.
I'll second Taint's suggestion of the Outfitter Design's rack kit. It solves a lot of steering rack problems.

And there's nothing wrong with RockAuto.com, great prices and great service.

Last edited by Bunger; 07-19-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

I've never had any issue with Rock Auto. I always check their prices on stuff I need, and many times they are the best deal.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 PM

I notice a lot of people recommend grease fittings and the after market rack and pinion brackets. My thought process is... the OEM non-greaseable fittings lasted 100,000mi without needing to be replaced so if I only have to replace them every 100,000mi, its worth not having to hassle with greased fittings. Also, the OEM rack bushing lasted 100,000mi as well so if I can get another 100,000mi out of a bushing then why replace the bracket with an over-priced, aftermarket bracket. I'm sure that the aftermarket brackets are better, I'm just not sure they are worth the sticker price.