Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Engine Air Box Replacement/ K&N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 04:50 PM
Default H3 Engine Air Box Replacement/ K&N CAI

Looking for any suggestions on the Engine Airbox replacement. I have a K&N CAI, and I have seen on some H3 Enginge pics with a CAI system, theres no box. Any suggestions would help..

Old 12-29-2023, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tony-Nav
Looking for any suggestions on the Engine Airbox replacement. I have a K&N CAI, and I have seen on some H3 Enginge pics with a CAI system, theres no box. Any suggestions would help..

Cold Air Intake

Sealed cold air intakes bring cooler air into your engine and combustion chamber. In doing so, cold air intakes boost engine power and efficiency. That's because colder air has a higher oxygen density. More oxygen is included in a given volume of cold air than a given volume of warm or hot air under the hood.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

Cold Air Intake

Sealed cold air intakes bring cooler air into your engine and combustion chamber. In doing so, cold air intakes boost engine power and efficiency. That's because colder air has a higher oxygen density. More oxygen is included in a given volume of cold air than a given volume of warm or hot air under the hood.
https://youtu.be/9cqXDFIWl3s?si=elnr_amc4Z-BgjgZ

Thank You for this information. Any suggestions on Air intake Tube?

Old 12-29-2023, 11:59 PM
Old 12-30-2023, 12:50 PM

Use the stock box with an air doc intake. The stock box draws COLD air from inside the fender flare, vs drawing hot air from inside the engine bay like you’ll get with a cone filter. Use a K&N or AEM filter in the box for improved air flow, supported by the air doc intake to get rid of the stock resonator.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:36 PM

NMH3

Thank you for the info. I have a K&N set-up exactly how you described, except for resonator box. I will call air doc and see if the can sell me the 6.5-7 inch intake tube with the port for the PCV hose.

Old 12-31-2023, 01:55 PM

Use the stock system as is lol. No need to change it. It's an i5.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the advise. If I “needed” to replace these parts it would be OEM, I5 or V8. Me wanting to change it, kinda takes president here, while employing your expertise as guidance. I may want to stick with the change. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
Use the stock system as is lol. No need to change it. It's an i5.
I slightly disagree with this statement. If the desire is to get some big, noticeable performance gain by changing to a K&N or Air Doc then you’re right, it’s most definitely not going to happen. I’ve had both and can say with 100% certainty that the H3 is still sluggish either way.

I’m a big fan of the Air Doc because it simplifies the system with the removal of the Vortec resonator. It’s bulky and from what I was able to determine when researching, not a necessary or vital component for the air flow process. Also, and most important to me at least, it’s a lot easier to do other maintenance work without that resonator in the way every time. There’s a ton of “regular H3 maintenance” that requires that area to be clear and for as many times as I’ve removed my intake tube over that past few years, the minimal cost of the Air Doc has been well worth it in the end.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:58 PM

Awesome! Thank you. Considering the obvious, I only want what can help operationally rather. Small gains are a plus. I’ve also changed out the fan and radiator with the ecm from PNC of NC. Battery Terms. Shocks, and other suspension work and a minute amount of interior upgrades just to make her, mine. Breathing is a huge part of good operation. And yes the resonator box is really in the way. Again, Thank you. Air Doc it is, i will be removing my K&N tube once the order comes in! Would you have any expertise on a open or closed Box system. The threads here are a pendulum. All really good points. Nothing I am familiar with.

Quick Reply: H3 Engine Air Box Replacement/ K&N CAI