Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 dropping out of overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joel Young
I have owned it for about 3 weeks. This is surely not a normal operation as it does it on flat and slightly uphill roads at around 2 RPMS. It jumps back and forth as if I was pressing the gas On and Off. IT does it going 30 mph and any speed up to 65 when the conditions are right. Perhaps it is a electrical or solenoid issue? I have no clue but it is very annoying and jerky to me and my passengers. Any clue?
Why not eliminate the passengers if they are annoyed?

You have 2 options:
#1 Throw parts at it, solenoids, torque converter, trans rebuild, pcm, kitchen sink, etc..
#2 Clean the transmission with seafoam trans tune
then flush the transmission with fresh
Dex VI Dex VI

and drop the pan and install a new trans filter

Old 10-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Thank you HummerZ !! I did a tranny seafoam flush and then a full refill and at the same time replaced the O2 sensor and this morning during my test drive with fingers crossed, it fixed it!! I am so happy and thrilled that your advise paid off. At first I did not think that it was a tranny issue but after inspecting the tranny filter (tons of gunk and metal) I can see that it was clogging at low RPMs and not getting the fluid it needed and thus was doing a min slip of gears. You are the man bro! if you are ever in North Ca, hit me up so I can buy you a beer or two Bless you and the rest of you guys that help us newbie Hummer Owners out!!!

Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 PM

With 15k miles trans fluid change intervals, I've seen the 4L60E last over 300k miles! Preventive maintenance is the key!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM

So I have a new question that I hope you guys can maybe shed some light on. After my recent oil change and the addition of mystery oil cleaner, my H3 started making a ticking noise. Presumably from the lifters. It goes away after 4 minutes of warm up but the fact it does it at all has me irritated. It was not making this sound before the oil change and now I am concerned i dislodged something with the additive and now a lifter, or something else, is held up or blocked...My only thought would be to try another full oil change with new filter...any thoughts guys?