Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 at the dealer AGAIN for creaking noise/Anyone have this??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Default H3 at the dealer AGAIN for creaking noise/Anyone have this??

Hi....I have had this annoying creaking noise when driving my H3 @ low speeds @ stop signs and especially when I pull in my driveway. This is the 3rd time I have dropped it off at the dealer and this time I told them I don't want it back until they can find the problem. I swear somtimes it is so loud it sounds like the bottom of the truck is going to fall off. It is weird though because sometimes there is no noise at all but now it is worse. Any input would be appreciated.
Also I bought the chrome Putco door handle covers last night on ebay/all 5 brand new for 39.99.....It seemed like a great deal then my husband told me that you can buy the actual whole handles that you replace the existing ones with. Did I make a mistake getting the covers?? Anyone have them and like them?? TIA

Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM

The Putco chrome covers work just fine. After extended periods of use, you might find a little slip here and there. Overall, I think they work just fine. 'Course, your husband is right. You can just buy the whole handles. Bit more money. But worth the extra cost. Juts DON'T drop the bolt into the door frame, if you do replace the entire handles!

Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks...ya I looked up the price on the actual handles and they are alot more....I'll see how the covers work out for now.
Update from the dealer: They had to grease my bushings.....whatever that means and they also had to resurface my back breaks per a service bulletin for the 2007 H3. I hope this works but I still have a bad feeling that thing will be making the noise still. My husband is picking it up because I am sick of going there for the same crap. They were pissy with me last time because I told them I sound like Sanford and Son rollin down the street.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:24 PM

My 2008 is doing the same-thing! Sounds like one off the springs in the back is bottoming out! Would love to no if they fixed it, an what it was!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM

They all creak and moan, Wait til you take it off road and loosen it up a bit. I would much rather have the whole handle, All those Putco plasti chrome pieces pit after a year or two of duty.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM

I have some load noise coming from the rear of the H3, it happens when I brake heavy.A growling noise, then once there was a load boom back there as I braked.

Took it to the dealer for oil change and they said they could not duplicate the sound, I however can make the noise at will.

I hope you find out what your noise is.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Hi H3 is back home....WITHOUT THE NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I swear I thought I was doomed. Here is what my Service Receipt says:

(Customer reports grinding noise when stopping)
TECH RESURFACED REAR ROTORS PER SERVIVE BULLETIN THEN TEST DROVE TO VERIFY REPAIRS

(customer reports creek/klunk noise at low speed when stopping and turning)
CAUSED BY DRY BODY BUSHINGS ON BOTH SIDES
RR/RPL BODY PAD/BOLT
TECH LUBED BODY BUSHINGS ON BOTH SIDES

I hope this helps someone because I know how frustrating this has been for months. I could see if it had 100,000 miles but it only has 14,500 so this type of back and forth mystery BS gets old.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

That is great news for you and great information for others.Thanks.
I would like to see the tech bulletin.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Default Unfortunate update

Well I will say the grinding is gone....but when I was in a parking lot last night and hit a dip while turning into a spot....CREAKING!!!!! I give up....it almost sounds like bedsprings.
I am going to wait a bit before I bring it back in to the dealer. Maybe they need to replace the bushings? Oh well best of luck to you all with the same problem.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:32 PM

I've had my H3 since Sept. 2005 and it has the creaking/clunk, but only when it's cold (outside temp. <50 degrees F). I took it to the dealer numerous times and they tried everything and couldn't fix it. I now live with it, but have it narrowed down to the body mount bushings or the leaf-spring bushings. I'm out of warranty by a fair margin and this problem is the only lingering issue with my H3. It's annoying, but it isn't going to leave you stranded.

Quick Reply: H3 at the dealer AGAIN for creaking noise/Anyone have this??