Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 06 brown foam/water/sludge in air Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 AM
Default H3 06 brown foam/water/sludge in air Resonator

I searched and found many guesses what it may be, prior to taking it apart through all kinds of codes and misfires . but soon as I took the hose from airfilter to resonantor off I could see 1/4" of the watery mixin the resonator. . I replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs, cleaned TB too 'due anyway" but wondering where it is coming from .

Never found a good answer now it is cold in Northern NH lots of snow rain and ice too. Head is not bad not burning oil or loosing coolant. With new plugs idles accelerates super smooth , I had also cleaned out the Resonantor with compressed air. Had this problem a year ago ( 12k miles ) with no real answer.

Any one else having this problen ?

Thanks
Jaws

Last edited by Aaajaws; 01-25-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:28 PM

you will collect oil and fumes in the resonator from the PCV connection in the resonator, if you have cold moist weather you can be getting condensation in that system through the air intake. If you had a blown head gasket you could get a lot of moisture in the PCV system.

are you losing coolant? If not it most likely just condensation coming into the CAI. On my f150 ecoboost we drill a weep hole in the intercoolers to blow out moisture as they condensate enough to shut the motors down.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by rockhound
you will collect oil and fumes in the resonator from the PCV connection in the resonator, if you have cold moist weather you can be getting condensation in that system through the air intake. If you had a blown head gasket you could get a lot of moisture in the PCV system.

are you losing coolant? If not it most likely just condensation coming into the CAI. On my f150 ecoboost we drill a weep hole in the intercoolers to blow out moisture as they condensate enough to shut the motors down.
Thanks for the reply
Coolant level has been the same for the last yearso think / hope head and gasket OK. Yes I thought it was due to the cold weatherheat of engine and moisture just seemed like alot of fluid the resonator. .

Old 01-27-2020, 12:47 PM

I had the same thing on my new-to-me 07. Went into "limp" mode. I got it home, then cleaned the TB. Was dirty, but I had water in my resonator as well.
I'm in Wisconsin, so we would have similar weather. After the clean it runs much better.

I don't have an answer for you though, sorry. My only guess is condensation accumulation.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

The I5s have two crankcase vents. The main handles about 70% of venting and is connected at (when looking at the engine from the front) the right rear of the top of the intake manifold. #503 & 908 below.

The rest is vented from the air intake resonator box to the opposite side rear of the engine to the valve cover through the zigzag hose.

Check that the main is not plugged or goobered up.

Sounds like condensation from short driving runs to me.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:14 AM

I never new there was 2 Vent tubes I will look for the "Primary" today I knew about the S tube on valve cover. Normal driving 30 mins to work the 240 miles trip once a week.

I will let you know What I find thanks for the diagram makes it much easier to find.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM

503 and 908 are attached to the other side of the intake they do not pull into the resonator
does not change the fact that you are getting a lot of condesation. One thing you could do is eliminate the resonator and go with a cai tube, if you did not have the large air box collecting moisture the moist air would get burned up with out the ability to condensate.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockhound
503 and 908 are attached to the other side of the intake they do not pull into the resonator
does not change the fact that you are getting a lot of condesation. One thing you could do is eliminate the resonator and go with a cai tube, if you did not have the large air box collecting moisture the moist air would get burned up with out the ability to condensate.
True, but when the primary gets obstructed, more of everything goes into the intake. Seen it before, other threads here with pics.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Absolutely make sure it's not blocked, but I know mine is clear and in the cooler weather in colorado I was also getting build up in my resonator, not nearly as much as OP but it was there,

Anywhere you have a large cool area where the air flow slows down a moist climate can cause condensation, if his condensation is coming from in the crankcase the main tube flowing freer may help but if it's just from the ambient humidity it won't make any difference

Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 AM

Checked 503 and pulled 908 tup all clear there.

Quick Reply: H3 06 brown foam/water/sludge in air Resonator