Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Fuel Pressure Issue H3 Alpha with Codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Fyi, Fuel Tank Pressure Sensors are one component of the vehicle's evaporative emissions control system. The sensor measures pressure changes within the fuel tank.
I appreciate this information. Its a nice GeeWiz. I'm not sure why it's being brought up, because this issue is particularly with the Fuel RAIL Pressure sensor. All codes and issues were solved by this. the fuel RAIL pressure sensor is to measure that appropriate pressure for the Air/Fuel mixture is reaching the injectors located on the fuel rail. the tank is so far behind in the system it has its own pressure sensor, and that specifically reads that pressure to ensure the pressure valve is working and there is not too much back pressure.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trog
I appreciate this information. Its a nice GeeWiz. I'm not sure why it's being brought up, because this issue is particularly with the Fuel RAIL Pressure sensor. All codes and issues were solved by this. the fuel RAIL pressure sensor is to measure that appropriate pressure for the Air/Fuel mixture is reaching the injectors located on the fuel rail. the tank is so far behind in the system it has its own pressure sensor, and that specifically reads that pressure to ensure the pressure valve is working and there is not too much back pressure.
Again, it's NOT a "fuel pressure sensor".
You fixed the P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure System
Which, could have affected the fuel pressure.

Last edited by hummerz; 12-04-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Again, it's NOT a "fuel pressure sensor".
You fixed the P0451 Evaporative Emission System Pressure System
Which, had nothing to do with fuel pressure.
Oh, Im sorry. I guess I am misinformed by the part I ordered to replace the faulty one. Ill send it back then. It is clearly a "pressure sensor". It was the problem. But please, continue to tell me how I am in the wrong.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sesz4E8gc2wDHG

Old 12-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Oh, Im sorry. I guess I am misinformed by the part I ordered to replace the faulty one. Ill send it back then. It is clearly a "pressure sensor". It was the problem. But please, continue to tell me how I am in the wrong.
I edited my post. My main point is, this is not fuel pressure sensor. It's an evap system pressure sensor.
The sensor measures pressure changes within the fuel tank in order to alert the vehicle's engine management computer when there is a leak in the fuel system. These sensors can identify leaks so they can be repaired quickly for both safety reasons and to help save on fuel costs.
Bottom line, you fixed it. Nice work.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 PM

i have to agree with hummerz...
the fist line in the link you posted actually states ( ACDelco GM Original Equipment Fuel Tank Pressure Sensors are one component of the vehicle's evaporative emissions control system )

Old 12-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Daniel, thanks for asking again. I solved the problem. It was NOT entirely the fuel pump. It may have helped to change it, but there is actually a fuel pressure sensor hidden on the H3 Alpha. I'm not sure about other 2009s, but there is a fuel pressure sensor that the computer believes to be on the fuel rail. It is not on the fuel rail. On the 2009 h3 alpha, it is located between the cat converter and the transmission. if you are looking at the transmission from the front(engine side) it would be located about 3o'clock.

I found this by chasing the fuel lines. The lines come out of the pump(4 lines) and only 2 are easy to follow. The injection lines turn on the frame and go up the transmission, up into the engine bay where they are practically out of sight before connecting to the fuel rail. The pressure sensor is located on this line, youll have to chase it where it turns and follows the trans.

If your code is reading "Fuel rail pressure sensor A" like mine, it means it is not giving the proper reading, or a reading at all, and the hummer sputters a little because it is not sure what mixture to pump to the injectors. Eventually, it enters "limp" mode to keep it from stalling. These leads to foul smelling exhaust, poor gas mileage, and poor throttle response. I took the truck to a mechanic who hooked his Tech 2 scanner to the OBD, and it showed the reading from the sensor as "0" for fuel pressure.

Replace the faulty sensor by removing the little heat shield that "protects" the sensor from the exhaust heat. Then you'll need to grab a crows foot that fits over the sensor to attach to a ratchet. A regular open end wrench will not work because you cannot turn the wrench far enough to break the sensor lose. You'll need to give it one spin or so to be able to remove the plastic lock on the connector so you can disconnect the connector before totally removing the sensor. Then put the new one on, I found mine on RockAuto for 17 bucks. Now she runs beautifully.

thanks for the reply! Yeah I did some more digging and messed with my obd2 looked at the live data and go figure my fuel rail pressure was saying 0.0 as it sat running so it couldn’t be the gas pump and I read some of the Chevy forums and saw the same issue. Only thing is I thought the fuel rail pressure sensor was on top of the gas pump. The black connector on top But I’ll look for the one you’re talking about though I saw that on another forum I looked at. I looked for it in on my engine and couldn’t find it on the fuel rail on top so it makes sense. Anyway I really appreciate your response

Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 PM

Code P0446 indicates that there is an improper voltage drop in the EVAP Vent Valve circuit, which can be caused by either too little or too much electrical resistance. This improper electrical condition will cause the vent valve to malfunction.

Oddly enough I haven’t gotten that code again only p069e, anyway we both seem to be having the same issue so if the fuel rail pressure sensor on top of the gas pump doesn’t fix it I’ll try the one you guys are talking about and see if it works. But like I said it comes and goes earlier today it ran rough when I started it turned the light on then ran fine, went to the store started her up again to go home and no light

Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 PM

well when it acts up open the gas cap and see if it gets worse or better. if it gets better then the tank is not breathing properly and if it gets worse you have a vacuum issue and a solenoid might be stuck open

Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Thank you I’ll try that out too.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Update * so I changed out the fuel rail pressure sensor and it seemed to work great and my truck seemed to have more power but after 3 days the issues came back with it burning rich and idling rough so I’m going to try the evap sensor see what it does 🤷🏻‍♂️

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Issue H3 Alpha with Codes