Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Front drive line issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Default Front drive line issue

So I have an 06 H3 with 123xxx miles. I知 having an issue with the front drive shaft. About a year or so ago the CV joint went out. I replaced just the joint. Then back in April I noticed the boot was torn and dry and beginning to make noise. I replaced it again. Yesterday I started hearing noise again so I looked under it and that boot is torn again. I grease the joint every time I致e replaced it. What would cause these boots to keep tearing? At 194 bucks a crack I知 not too keen on replacing these things every few months.

thanks

Old 07-15-2021, 09:23 PM

Old 07-15-2021, 09:29 PM

Cool so this is a forum of dicks who got nothing better to do but pull there dick and give useless answers. I値l remember that. Thanks for your help cuck...

Old 07-15-2021, 10:33 PM

I'm wondering what would make the boot rip again so soon. I don't know if bad front diff bushings would cause the front diff to move around enough to screw up the front driveshaft boot. You didn't mentioned what brand the new boot was. If it was a cheaper replacement version, maybe they don't have the durability of the GM boots. That's all I got.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 AM

Dont worry about other members, just need more info. Does the truck have a suspension lift? Is the diff dropped? Did you check the front diff bushings? Any of those can contribute to dmaging the CV joint quickly. The boot is very thin and can be damaged very easily too, and given its location also exposed to the elements.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by amrg
Dont worry about other members, just need more info. Does the truck have a suspension lift? Is the diff dropped? Did you check the front diff bushings? Any of those can contribute to dmaging the CV joint quickly. The boot is very thin and can be damaged very easily too, and given its location also exposed to the elements.
the vehicle is stock ride height no lift. Axle bushing would affect the front drive at the transfer case?

Old 07-16-2021, 05:53 AM

Front diff has 3 mounts , 2 side and one at the rear cross member. On some occassions the whole thing would be gone and even the bolts sheared (i had that). If you drive around with the diff flopping around the angles on the cv will get off and that tiny boot at the tcase end will rip. Dropping the diff will also make the angle higher at the tcase and also get the boot to rip. Driving on gravel roads for extended periods can get some debris thrown that way and rip the same boot.
you did say you replaced the cv, its less than $50 for the part on rockauto. I had one go out as apparently it was pressed in wrongly and the boot didnt last. The second replacement is still going well but havent had more than 2 years on it. Some just replace the d-shaft and be done with it.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:01 AM

Yeah I致e replaced the cv at the T case 3 times now. Last time was just 3 months ago in April. I値l definitely check the differential bushing this evening when I get home.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amrg
Front diff has 3 mounts , 2 side and one at the rear cross member. On some occassions the whole thing would be gone and even the bolts sheared (i had that). If you drive around with the diff flopping around the angles on the cv will get off and that tiny boot at the tcase end will rip. Dropping the diff will also make the angle higher at the tcase and also get the boot to rip. Driving on gravel roads for extended periods can get some debris thrown that way and rip the same boot.
you did say you replaced the cv, its less than $50 for the part on rockauto. I had one go out as apparently it was pressed in wrongly and the boot didnt last. The second replacement is still going well but havent had more than 2 years on it. Some just replace the d-shaft and be done with it.
Yeah, what he said.....

I would think you have some other issue beating up the Front Drive Shaft CV. While the CVs aren't the most super heavy duty, they should last around a 100K miles, that is what GM was shooting for on its stock H3s.

Good luck and please follow up with whatever you find.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:30 PM

Another potential issue you will want to look at is the lower ball joints. I have found that the AC Delco Professional lower ball joints come with a zerk fitting that either touches or comes infinitely close to the cv boot. That could definitely cause some damage.

Quick Reply: Front drive line issue