Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Flickering NAV screen.. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/flickering-nav-screen-24593/)

wfturner 10-14-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 262545)
wtfturner - is your head unit still working correctly?

Cleaning the terminals didn't help mine and it's still on the fritz. I've about had it and am about to buy a new unit but don't want to have issues with an aftermarket head unit.

It's really weird. If it's dark out, and I turn my lights off manually, the nav screen pops up bright as can be. If it's light out and I turn my lights on and then off manually, it does nothing.

Sometimes just turning the car off and then back on will fix it for a few seconds then BAM.. Gone again..

Driving. Me. Nuts.

Seriously looking at the Pioneer 930BT, it has a lot of features I can justify anyway, namely being able to play MP3's off a disc or sd card..

First off glad you are back, I was afraid you had left us.
Sadly, my unit never stopped flickering for very long. I have my new battery terminals and cleaned connectors on the back of the stock unit. I again talked to the dealer who sold me a new unit for $700.00. Less than half price. The dealer said he had only heard of one other Delphi unit acting up this way. I had the exact symptoms you describe.
I use this nav. when off road and traveling and I listen to Sirius/XM and need the clock too.
Now my world makes sense again.
Good luck on whatever you end up doing. The Pioneer 930BT is a nice unit but the Delphi nav is better in IMO.

Tram 10-14-2011 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by wfturner (Post 262546)
First off glad you are back, I was afraid you had left us.
Sadly, my unit never stopped flickering for very long. I have my new battery terminals and cleaned connectors on the back of the stock unit. I again talked to the dealer who sold me a new unit for $700.00. Less than half price. The dealer said he had only heard of one other Delphi unit acting up this way. I had the exact symptoms you describe.
I use this nav. when off road and traveling and I listen to Sirius/XM and need the clock too.
Now my world makes sense again.
Good luck on whatever you end up doing. The Pioneer 930BT is a nice unit but the Delphi nav is better in IMO.

Nah, I haven't left.. :) I have 5 cars, a plane and multiple hobbies that keep me running on different boards. LOL.. I tend to circle back to all of them eventually.. :)

Bummer that yours didn't stop. Did the replacement unit have any flickering issues or all you all fixed? If it's fixed, seems like it's in the unit itself and not a wiring issue?

wfturner 10-14-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 262554)
Nah, I haven't left.. :) I have 5 cars, a plane and multiple hobbies that keep me running on different boards. LOL.. I tend to circle back to all of them eventually.. :)

Bummer that yours didn't stop. Did the replacement unit have any flickering issues or all you all fixed? If it's fixed, seems like it's in the unit itself and not a wiring issue?

You're right, It had to be in the head unit. Battery terminals were a step in the right direction, but. I even played with those two ribbon connectors, between the screen itself and the head unit and that didn't work.
After all fixes didn't solve anything, I went with the new Delphi unit.
The dealer has given me 12K miles or one year warranty. And yes, I am watching it like a hawk.
The dealer definitely came thru for me on this, IMO.

5 Cars, a plane and hobbies ? I amazed you have any time at all for us forum folks

Tram 10-14-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner (Post 262558)

5 Cars, a plane and hobbies ? I amazed you have any time at all for us forum folks

... and a "day" job, two side gigs and 1 year old twins.. LOL..

tuffenuff 10-14-2011 04:37 PM

I am on the same boat. I changed the head unit at HUMMER dealer but it still flickers. I also cleaned out the battery terminal area but no help. Will battery + terminal replacement solve this issue?

wfturner 10-14-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tuffenuff (Post 262576)
I am on the same boat. I changed the head unit at HUMMER dealer but it still flickers. I also cleaned out the battery terminal area but no help. Will battery + terminal replacement solve this issue?

Changing out the stock battery terminals is a good idea, even without radio problems.
Clean the terminals on the back of the head unit and replace battery terminals and then do a reset (touching the two battery cables together for about ten seconds) Reattach to battery and wait and see.
Sure hope you don't have to get yet another new unit like me. Did you get a warranty with the dealer replaced unit ??
My original Delphi unit was a early model (VIN) 2007

Thomas Cook 11-21-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tram (Post 253829)
Well, I pulled the negative on the battery.. Still flickering.. I need to see if this thing is still under warranty.

burnt connection I just did mine yesterday once I did it it worked fine