PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the fix; wires thru firewall

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Banned
Default the fix; wires thru firewall

well,heres the hole,you add the wire,,,s
hard to drill in there. the square plugged hole must be for clutch stuff so stick shifters skip this!
my small starter drill stuck in the corner so thats where i did it. then i used a larger drill and finally a 7/8 hole punch. if you can center in the square u wont have to go thru 2 layers as i did. the gunk around the hole is putty i used to start the hole punch,long story.
ill find a grommet or use more of the sticky putty,WHEN i find just one of the many heavy red/blk wire harness i know i have,,,somewhere.
finally,the dual band ant where it belongs,right in the middle of the roof. well it didnt make it

a good workout today. wires manyana

Attached Thumbnails the fix; wires thru firewall-az-hole-punch.jpg   the fix; wires thru firewall-az-hole-outside.jpg   the fix; wires thru firewall-az-hole-inside-1-.jpg  

Last edited by drtom; 04-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned
Default the ant

taking all day for 1 pix/
oh,the ant is for the radio that made the wires necessary!

Attached Thumbnails the fix; wires thru firewall-az-antenna.jpg  
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Default Looks Good

Looks like as good a place as any to put a hole and the antenna looks great. I was wondering where I should drill a hole. I'll follow your lead there

Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 PM

yep its a good place for running power cable for amps...

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/a...42/#post260788

Old 04-13-2012, 02:05 PM

I had to drill a hole through the firewall last month when I installed a new car stereo. For me the best place to go through was on the passenger side. This was b/c I found a nice smooth spot to drill that was free on both sides and it was close to the amp (the amp is under the passenger's seat). I used a unibit from Harbor Freight and it went through it like butter.

I attached 3 photos. The first is the inside directly under the glove box, the 2nd is the outside which comes out below and to the right of the PCM, and the 3rd is just a picture of how the wire goes to the battery (you can see it along the top of the firewall).

Attached Thumbnails the fix; wires thru firewall-h3_firewall_hole_inside.jpg   the fix; wires thru firewall-h3_firewall_hole_outside.jpg   the fix; wires thru firewall-h3_amp_wiring_under_hood.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Default Awesome

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
I had to drill a hole through the firewall last month when I installed a new car stereo. For me the best place to go through was on the passenger side.
Thanks, I might have to use that side also. What did you use in the hole you drilled to protect the cable and keep moisture out?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM

when i needed to run some wiring i was able to go down through the pillar (?) beside the park brake and out between the door and fender, theres a small plastic body cap i popped out and put a hole through for the wires, from there i was able to go up to the top inside fender and pull them out through there. they come out right around by the battery

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Banned
Default step right up,,,

must be lots more already done it, step right up and take a ride on the hole drillin bus!

where wuz everybody when i was lookin 4 a way???

lets all contribute

Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by K0PIR
Thanks, I might have to use that side also. What did you use in the hole you drilled to protect the cable and keep moisture out?
I bought this amp kit:

Amazon.com: Scosche Revopak4 4-Gauge Revo Series Single Amp Power and Audio Kit (Silver/Black): Car Electronics

It's the best Amp kit on the market for the price. Great quality, true 4 gauge wire, and comes with everything you need included a water proof firewall grommet which is what you need to keep the moisture out.

If you don't need to buy a kit just search Amazon or your favorite store for a waterproof firewall grommet that is for the gauge of wire you are using. I would suggest using an actual plastic one that screws together and has a rubber seal inside as opposed to just using a basic rubber grommet. With the screw together ones it tightens down on the rubber seal and the wire as you screw it together making a really good seal and keeping the wire from sliding.

Let me know if you have any questions about this. And I do recommend using a unibit to drill through the firewall as opposed to a hole saw. You can get a set from Harbor freight for under $20. If you go to home depot or ace you'll pay over $30 for a single bit and unless you use it every day the harbor freight ones hold up just fine.