Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

It finally happened, tranny line popped off (stuck in a parking lot)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 12:39 PM
Default It finally happened, tranny line popped off (stuck in a parking lot)

It finally happened, transmission cooler line popped off and lost fluid. My wife was driving so I have no idea how much fluid we lost, she didn't pull over immediately. Replaced the line, topped off fluid, no codes, no noise, can't reverse or go forward 😔

(Update) let the transmission get to temp, rechecked fluids, added more, back in business. Dodged a bullet with this one. I've been putting off replacing those cheap hose clamps with something more substantial when I go and install the bypass, was planning to do it this weekend.. didn't quite make it. Lesson learned, listen to @hummerz when he tells you he wouldn't trust those clamps to hold his pants.

Last edited by MadDogBimmer89; 09-30-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:53 PM

Old 09-30-2023, 05:52 PM

Do you have the link to that thread so I can “read and learn” before it’s too late? Thx.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by paulattanasio
Do you have the link to that thread so I can “read and learn” before it’s too late? Thx.
Transmission Temp 235F, where should I start?

Old 09-30-2023, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by paulattanasio
Originally Posted by hummerz
I was also dealing with engine running hot (there's giant thread that was beat to death in that regard). I will save you the read, external transmission cooler fixed that issue as well.

Unfortunately, I was a dummy and used gear clamps that came with the cooler, Hummerz warned me not to. But I was too lazy and it was way too hot to go back and mess with it again, figured I'd just replace them when I go back in and install the bypass stat before outdoor temps get cold. If you ever decide to install one of these coolers, don't cheap out on hose clamps lol

Now I am not too sure if I event want to install a bypass, just one more thing that could fail. Currently transmission runs at about 140F. Does anyone have an opinion on these, are they reliable?

Old 10-01-2023, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Would this be the correct ones? If so, what size(s) would I need? Thx.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-02-2023, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

When I do my cooler project over the winter, I will be using Stainless Braided 6an Lines with 6an fittings. I love overkill.

I have done them before on other trucks using just reinforced rubber trans lines and double wide band SS Clamps with no issues.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

How cold does it get in Vegas winters? Are you cold enough for long periods to even justify a Bypass? They are reliable if you spend the $$ for a quality unit. I thing your pic of the blue one is OK?

Old 10-02-2023, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
How cold does it get in Vegas winters? Are you cold enough for long periods to even justify a Bypass? They are reliable if you spend the $$ for a quality unit. I thing your pic of the blue one is OK?
I think January is the coldest month, it can get below 30 at night, but not often. During the day we'll be in the upper to mid 50's

I do have a follow up question after losing about 5-6quarts of fluid. Transmission seems to shift fine no clunks or hesitation, but acceleration does seem a bit more sluggish now. Any idea why that may be? Apart from me being paranoid lol

Fluid is back at the proper level. Just worried there was some damage that we can't see.

Last edited by MadDogBimmer89; 10-02-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:15 PM

might have worn some clutches running dry.

Quick Reply: It finally happened, tranny line popped off (stuck in a parking lot)