Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Factory key not engaging ignition switch easily, more often than not now

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Default Factory key not engaging ignition switch easily

I had just got my 2007 H3 back from a friend's shop from having the rotors, calipers, shoes replaced, and the system flushed. I returned home and backed it into the garage for the night. The next day I parked it in the middle of the garage floor to switch to my new wheels and tires. After I finished, I inserted the key and it wouldn't turn to start the vehicle. I gently tried and tried. I called my shop buddy and he thought there was pressure on the 'pin' and told me to rock the vehicle forward and backward and try it. That was a no go. I was parked on a level flat tiled floor. I turned my steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn my key and it finally broke free.

First off, I don't think what I did helped the key to engage correctly, and I was surprised that I didn't have locking steering with the key off. Sometimes I still have a slight issue getting my key to engage. Don't know if this is from the shop or my changing the wheels but I did not torque my wheels until they were firmly on the ground. I only snugged them before lowering them from the floor jack. All I know is, before all this, I had smooth operation with my key engaging the ignition.

What are the issues that would prevent a key from turning the ignition switch once inserted. Bent pawl??? I do know they changed out my Transmission switch sensor and now I don't get a CLUNK when I switch to reverse anymore( and I doubt that will interfere with transmission pin engagement) .... strange..... Before this, I recently got it back from a GM dealership after they changed out my door lock tumbler and had no issues. It seems to be in the switch only and unobstructed from wheel pressure on the trans pawl. Thanks for your help, in advance... Scott

Last edited by Scotts H3 Hummer; 03-05-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

A dirty key and/or ignition lock cylinder, dead or dying battery, poor battery connection.

Did anybody recently disconnect the Battery? Are you still using the Crappy Azzed OEM Battery Terminal Connectors?

Old 03-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Default If you have trouble getting key out push shifter hard into park

If you have problems getting your key out push the shifter hard into park and it should come out