Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Exhaust question on 2006 H3

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Question Exhaust question on 2006 H3

I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust system on my 2006 H3. I see on eBay that I can get a GM touring exhaust without tips for $245 total shipped. It is listed as cat back for a 3.7 L5. There is also a GM touring cat back exhaust with tips for a 5.3 V8 $285 total shipped. As we all know, my 2006 has a 3.5 L5 in it. I only see signal pipe GM systems listed for it. I do see aftermarket dual systems listed, but they are hundreds of dollars more then the GM systems.

I'm looking for deeper sound and the dual pipes.

1.) Will either of these GM systems directly bolt into my 2006 H3 with the 3.5 L5?
2.) Is there a difference between the GM touring exhaust and the GM performance exhaust?
3.) For the 3.5 L5 is there a performance difference between the GM systems and the aftermarket systems like Magnaflow or Flowmaster?
4.) I know this one is subjective, but will the smaller engine sound like crap no matter what I put on there?

I've been searching the forum and I'm not finding the answers I'm looking for. I could also use some advise from anyone who has already done this upgrade on the 3.5 L5.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:28 AM

I have seen the listings you mentioned... Honestly I have no idea what the sound would be like from said "touring" system. I never saw such a system until I came across that listing, so I'm not sure if it really is anything good or just someone on eBay hawking something and adding a fancy name to it to tempt more buyers...

I have the Volant Stainless Steel exhaust and there is a considerable sound difference between stock and it... Sounds good to me, not import sounding at all. However it might not be available anymore. I like it but am not 100% in love with it. I'm still contemplating a custom exhaust where I use a smaller muffler and split the exhaust off of that... A friend of mine and fellow forum member did that on his 07 H3X w/ a flowmaster 40 and it sounds great and was relatively inexpensive as well...

I've heard the magflow system before and it is nice, but pricey...
Try going on YouTube and listening to various setups...
Hopefully this helps

Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 AM

There are two systems made by GM Performance for the 3.5/3.7L Hummer H3. They offer a "Performance" and "Touring" system. The performance version has a more aggressive sound then the Touring system. The Touring system has a larger muffler and addition of a resonator.

Accessories Details

#19154703 - Performance System
#17802015 - Touring System

There has been talk that the Performance system was made by Billy Boat (which I believe the first run was but not so sure about the later version) and a Touring system was made questioned to be made by Corsa. I can tell you after inspecting the Touring system it is made by Borla and not Corsa like most have thought.

There are sound clips of both the Performance & Touring system here
http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/exh...t-hummerh3.mp3

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM

I have had Magnaflow on my 06, 08 and my 10 Alpha. On the Apha after installation, it was not loud enough for me so I removed the resonator. It still didn't have the sound I wanted so I had a muffler shop switch out the muffler and weld on the Magnaflow stainless steel tips. As much as I love Magnaflow products, don't overlook what a good custom muffler shop can do much cheaper.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM

All of your input helps. The eBay seller claims to be a dealer selling off their overstock. You never know on eBay though... Sound wise the clip helps, though I'm guessing it is with the v8. Thought of a local shop custom work, as that is how I normally get my exhaust done, but I liked the thought of bolting a stock fitting system on the H3 in my driveway. Local will be my plan "B".

Still need an answer to my first question if anyone knows. Will a GM performance exhaust for a 5.3 V8 bolt from the cat back on a 3.5 L5 system?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 58Bisc
All of your input helps. The eBay seller claims to be a dealer selling off their overstock. You never know on eBay though... Sound wise the clip helps, though I'm guessing it is with the v8. Thought of a local shop custom work, as that is how I normally get my exhaust done, but I liked the thought of bolting a stock fitting system on the H3 in my driveway. Local will be my plan "B".

Still need an answer to my first question if anyone knows. Will a GM performance exhaust for a 5.3 V8 bolt from the cat back on a 3.5 L5 system?
I bought my exhaust from the seller you are talking about and he is legit and the system is legit.

The sound clips are from a 3.5/3.7L I5 and not a V8.

The 5.3L system will not fit the 3.5/3.7L.

There are two GM Accessories systems that will work with you 2006 3.5L, and they are the numbers in my previous post but here is a link to the GM Accessories site for a 2006.
http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Hum...%2bSystem/2006

Last edited by SundownAudioNY; 01-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the second post and link. It makes a lot more sense now. I like the sound of both and think I would be happy with either one. I also feel better that you have used the seller before.

I got all excited and went to eBay to buy the GM touring exhaust. Seems I made a rookie eBay mistake and mistook a "place a bid" for a "buy it now" (little egg on my face) : ^ 0 I knew the price was just too good to be true... I'll have too keep my eyes out now that I understand what I am looking for.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me with your experience.

Last edited by 58Bisc; 01-04-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 58Bisc
Thanks for the second post and link. It makes a lot more sense now. I like the sound of both and think I would be happy with either one. I also feel better that you have used the seller before.

I got all excited and went to eBay to buy the GM touring exhaust. Seems I made a rookie eBay mistake and mistook a "place a bid" for a "buy it now" (little egg on my face) : ^ 0 I knew the price was just too good to be true... I'll have too keep my eyes out now that I understand what I am looking for.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me with your experience.
These are the only pictures I have of the system and they are crappy cell phone pictures from the day it showed up.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM

I placed a bid and won the 3.5/3.7 L5 GM touring exhaust system at $184. I'm happy with the results. Now more then likely I will have to wait till the spring to install it.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my questions. Your opinions helped me through the process.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM

My 2006 3.5 had the Magnaflow cat back system on it when I bought it, single muffler with dual tips. It has a nice sound but not loud at all and helps fuel economy. I won't lie though, I would never pay the price for the kit if it wasn't already installed when I bought it!

Quick Reply: Exhaust question on 2006 H3