PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the MASS Air Flow Sensor- Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Default Cleaning the MASS Air Flow Sensor- Battery

Hi, just a quick question, going to clean the Maf Sensor, on a 2007 H3, do I need to disconnect the battery terminals when I do, it seem to be pretty easy to access, I would rather not since it would most likely mess up my alarm or restart codes.

Ty

Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 PM

I usually disconnect the battery cable but I suppose you could just unplug the MAF and spray it clean over a rag. Then rinse repeat and reinstall. Lol!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:28 AM
DJB

No need for disconnecting the battery, just don't turn the key on with the MAF unplugged. I've cleaned hundreds of them and have never had a problem. In fact, I avoid disconnecting the battery unless it's absolutely necessary. The adaptive values in the ECM and TCM will reset to zero when you do; you and I might not care about driving the 50 or so miles waiting for the fuel trims, idle speed, shift points, etc. to relearn but I avoid returning a vehicle to a customer in that state.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJB
No need for disconnecting the battery, just don't turn the key on with the MAF unplugged. I've cleaned hundreds of them and have never had a problem. In fact, I avoid disconnecting the battery unless it's absolutely necessary. The adaptive values in the ECM and TCM will reset to zero when you do; you and I might not care about driving the 50 or so miles waiting for the fuel trims, idle speed, shift points, etc. to relearn but I avoid returning a vehicle to a customer in that state.
Now that's some funny CHEET right there.

Yes, please do. Anytime you work an any electrical part, please disconnect the battery.
I have heard many horror stories of MAF and TB work being done without disconnecting and someone always turns the ignition on to "listen tot he radio" or bumps it, etc.
It's just good practice just in case the connector or harness you removed comes into contact with metal somehow and grounds.
Just make it a habit with any electrical work.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DJB
GM PCMs record and retain the last 300 ignition cycles regardless of whether the power is on, off, unplugged, etc. It is flash based memory, just like a thumb drive, needs no juice to store the data.

I agree you do not need to disconnect the battery to clean an unplugged MAF.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:03 AM

Thank you so much everyone, I'm gonna leave it connected, videos seems fairly straight forward to clean.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Catdaddy
Thank you so much everyone, I'm gonna leave it connected, videos seems fairly straight forward to clean.
And only use MAF cleaner !!