Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

A/C On, Erratic Shifting, Engine Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Doc, as you and others suggested , I had my independent change the engine oil and filter, the engine coolant, and the transmission fluid and filter two weeks ago. School has not re-started here in Miami yet, so I have not been able to test the results of these changes yet.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:52 AM

When I first joined the Forum in 2015 after buying a 2010 h3t, many cited the plastic radiator to be the problem. It rubbed on the metal cross frame at the radiator cap area and it cracked and leaked in the top plastic case just to the right of the center.
I noticed the rubbing when the radiator was hot and expanded.. so I ground down the metal on the frame enough to maintain clearance. Now at 98000 miles, the radiator has cracked at the familiar location and loss of coolant went un-noticed thru the summer months. The truck has been running fine.

Last week I replaced the radiator with the same GM type from ACdelco ($132); the fluid drain was really messy. WORSE, one transmission insert popped on running the engine to warm up ( I was sorting out other stuff waiting for it to warm up.): More mess, luckily I have a tarp on the ground which caught most of the fluid.
I lost about 2 quarts of transmission fluid but now, the problem is the gear shift which is another ‘can of worms’.
Adding fluid is slow, putting small quantities between checking the level - to avoid over-filling. With the truck level, I now have ‘overfilled’ when cold but seems to be low when hot . I have yet to test drive to see if the gear shift is restored.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:20 AM

I really appreciate posters sharing their experience and success with the group, so let me do the same.

I had reported the hesitation issues, hot idling conditions, and the codes some months / time ago. About three months ago I moved from Miami to Pembroke Pines, and now commute at least 30 miles each day. My drive is mostly highway, at some interesting speeds (didn't know the Alphas could go that fast!!!), for at least 15 minutes "WOT" in each direction. Prior to moving, my drive was mostly on local roads and at normal speeds. The codes have gone away, and I have not experienced the hot idling condition recently.

Is that an Italian tune up?