PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying My First Hummer, Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Default Buying My First Hummer, Any Tips? *UPDATED*

*Update*

I bought an H3 last week, FINALLY!

It's a 2008 with a 5 speed(which I love), just over 21,000 miles, Solar Flare Metallic, aftermarket exhaust(haven't figured out what it is yet)...

...and got it for $21,900 which I thought was a good price

Name:  5GTEN13E488121074-4.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  CIMG0017.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  73.4 KB

Already been off roading twice. I have two jobs, which is how I'm paying for it, and any spare time I have now is spent on some dirt and mud. I absolutely love my H3! I can't wait to go to the off road park in Hot Springs, AR(close to where I live). Anyone else been/go there?

------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I thought it would be a wise idea to talk to some Hummer veterans before I make the big decision.

I'm definitely getting an H3; I've been looking at them(almost obsessively) for over a year now. I'm talking to some local dealers about their used H3's. I figured I'd get a 2007 or 2008 and not a 2006 because of the power increase in the 3.7 I5. But also for usually having lower miles and the manufacturer's warranty. My first question:

1) Is there that big of a difference between the 3.5 and the 3.7? If there's really not a difference I might try to find a 2006 with low miles because I'm sure it'd be much cheaper.

I'd like to get an H3 with the Adventure package for the little extra in the locking differential and already having the 285's. But I figured even if I don't get the Adventure package I'll still eventually upgrade to the larger tires. So my second question:

2) Is the Adventure package worth it? I plan on doing moderate off roading, no Hell's Gate kind of stuff.

This will be my first SUV, I've owned all cars. '93 Mustang, '86 Fiero GT, and now a '01 Mustang. I'm not real affluent with off roading, but I'm excited to learn. Which brings me to my third question:

3) I understand driving in 4High, but what does the 4High Lock and 4Low Lock do? What is it locking?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me and anything I need to look for or ask about when looking over an H3 on the lot.

Last edited by Manson75; 01-11-2010 at 10:45 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Manons75
Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum. I thought it would be a wise idea to talk to some Hummer veterans before I make the big decision.

I'm definitely getting an H3; I've been looking at them(almost obsessively) for over a year now. I'm talking to some local dealers about their used H3's. I figured I'd get a 2007 or 2008 and not a 2006 because of the power increase in the 3.7 I5. But also for usually having lower miles and the manufacturer's warranty. My first question:

1) Is there that big of a difference between the 3.5 and the 3.7? If there's really not a difference I might try to find a 2006 with low miles because I'm sure it'd be much cheaper.

I'd like to get an H3 with the Adventure package for the little extra in the locking differential and already having the 285's. But I figured even if I don't get the Adventure package I'll still eventually upgrade to the larger tires. So my second question:

2) Is the Adventure package worth it? I plan on doing moderate off roading, no Hell's Gate kind of stuff.

This will be my first SUV, I've owned all cars. '93 Mustang, '86 Fiero GT, and now a '01 Mustang. I'm not real affluent with off roading, but I'm excited to learn. Which brings me to my third question:

3) I understand driving in 4High, but what does the 4High Lock and 4Low Lock do? What is it locking?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me and anything I need to look for or ask about when looking over an H3 on the lot.
I drove an 06 and an 09 with the five cylinder and there is a bit of a difference. But it was just a few miles, others have more experience with them than I.

Yes the Adventure package is worth it unless all you do is go to the mall. I am new to the H3 but have owned countless 4x4 vehicles and have never regretted going heftier on any of them, including my Rubi.

4 high is just that, your normal driving mode with transfer case unlocked. When you lock it in either range, it does not allow slippage between the front and rear axles. You can not run it in this mode on hard, dry surfaces unless you are traveling in pretty much a straight line without excessively torquing the drive line.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM

Get the Alpha and you wont have to worry about power...

Old 12-25-2009, 08:28 AM

I went with an 06, mainly because of the additional weight. In 07 and up they lightened them up significantly. I think the 3.5 has plenty of torque myself, I mean, we're not taking these up the the strip to test them on the 1/4 mile. Sure, I suppose the 3.7 in a 800 lb. lighter truck will feel more powerful, but to me the weight feels more like a truck! Mine is fully loaded and I love it!
BTW - Monday night, I pulled my neighbor's F250, with a 20 trailer attached, out of the ditch in the snow, no problem. The extra weight makes a difference to me.
If looking at an 06, just make sure you're above the serial numbers past May I think. I found a great deal on mine with 11k miles on it, last winter when the SUV market was in a slump.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 AM

I went with an 06 because of cheaper price, I talked to a few owners before my purchase and the power from the 3.5 to 3.7 isnt a HUGE night and day difference. Besides, once you save the money getting an 06, throw an intake on, maybe exhaust and chip you'll have more power than the 07 anyway, that was my theory. I compared a few 06 to 07s myself and my 06 Loaded Luxury with 45k on it was the same price as a utility (base) 07 with 33k on it. I wanted the leather, moonroof, and monsoon so I decided on the 06. Do what I did, go out look at a few and drive em then make your choice, GOOD LUCK and welcome to Hummer Obsessiveness

Old 12-25-2009, 09:49 AM

I would look for the Adventure pkg. if i were you. you will get the larger tires as well as the locking diff's if you go with the later models including the cast iron front diff. in the 09 and by far the better engine.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 PM

I thought all models had locking diffs? or at least the ones I looked at had the lock buttons on the dash. My has the 265 tires and has the lock buttons above the radio...??

Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM

go with the 06

Old 12-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by TShepp
I thought all models had locking diffs? or at least the ones I looked at had the lock buttons on the dash. My has the 265 tires and has the lock buttons above the radio...??
Sorry, i should have been clearer, i meant a locking front diff. something not avail. on 06 model year

Old 12-25-2009, 02:28 PM

Oh, well my car is an asphalt trophy anyway, I don't think I'll ever take this truck on any hardcore trails.

Quick Reply: Buying My First Hummer, Any Tips?