Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Buying a Hummer H3, would love feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM

I would walk away. That much rust signals that there will probably be electrical problems from corrosion of terminals and even "waterproof" connectors (there are many in and under a H3). There are a lot of totally rust free rigs in central Texas at a fair price. Look at the Austin Craigslist. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:32 AM

I agree The Rust is too extensive for usual element exposure. As a former Florida and Louisiana resident and a hurricane victim for many years it is my opinion this vehicle may have been involved in a flood of some kind and never reported. Where was the vehicle titled previously? After Katrina all the vehicles looked like this - A few of my wife’s family members did not report any flooding even though their cars had over 3 feet of water. They lived in flood zones and most of them do not have flood insurance, ridiculously expensive. Its a problem in Louisiana. We got them running again but the undercarriages look like this now. I’d move on, 16k is not cheap by any means especially with rust issues :/

Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Lol!
That looks about right for a rust belt car that is that age. Here in Wisconsin that is what a car looks like after just a few winter's. That's just beauty marks. Both the Miss' and my H3 have more rust underneath. I am picky as h@ll and spray, clean and lube them both but calcium chloride eats our baby's away quick.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Default Thank you!!

Thank you all for your replies. I’ve been in touch with the dealer and he is willing to blast all the rust and coat it with a protectant and sealant, and then also to guarantee the work for up to 5 years. I’m trying to decide what to do from this point- I’ve noticed a
musty smell inside too. But I appreciate all the feedback you’ve taken the time to give! This is a great resource. Thanks again!!

Old 09-02-2018, 01:12 PM

I’d walk away too. I would also be afraid of how much structural integrity you’ll lose when everything is “blasted” away. Musty smell is a huge red flag too, and I agree with the other post above, electrical corrosion is not a risk worth taking.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Now musty is different.... I'd run not walk lol! Then again I'm very sensitive to mold, mildew so....
musty could be the sunroof drains clogged or some other leak. I'd be leary the place will just spray over the rust and it will just be making things worse.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM

Hello,
i also just purchased a 07 h3 last week. I did a lot of research and spoke with some restorers in my area and they recommended Blackstar. It cost a bit more than PRO-15 but it's a one step vs three.
i should have it in by next week and I will post my results with befor and after pics.

Wish you the best,
-Rick

Old 09-03-2018, 06:31 PM

You didn't say where you or the H3 are located but you really can never stop rust once it is that bad, The wheels are the big indicator of problems to come for me. Living in Florida we don't deal with that. Good luck in your search

Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM

So this guy has us. He will exchange for another vehicle on the lot, which means a Honda Pilot or Toyota 4runner, which I can choose and inspect for rust myself - or he can coat the underside of this one. A refund is out of the question. He has taken it to 4 "independent" mechanics who agree the rust will not be problematic once scraped and that on a scale of 1 to 10, the rust on this is a 2 or 3.
By the way - the truck was kept in NY and NJ, the majority in NJ.
It's my fault for not posting this thread earlier!! So now I guess any advice on damage control would be helpful.
Thanks for all the responses.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Have dealer take care of it and post up some pics when it is done. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Buying a Hummer H3, would love feedback