PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Default to buy or not to buy

Hello, I have joined this forum to see if I can get last minute advice on the following. My wife is adamant about buying a Hummer H3, she is going on this strictly on looks and capacity to haul 5 adults and her 2 dogs confortably. I--I swore never to buy another GM car because I have had such bad luck with the quality example: After replacing an engine on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherookee due to a thrown rod thru the block (yes the car was properly maintained) at a bit north of 80,000 miles, I had another engine failure due to overheating (blocked thermostat? defective water pump) which even after I had fixed the problem and mucho diner later, I was left with a noisy engine due to burnt bearings.....so I sold the Heep and bought what I consider a marke of off road vehicle: 80 series land cruiser.

I have put the vehicle thru some good paces, including a 3K mile trip to mexico (river crossings, hundreds of dirt road travelling etc. etc.) and never skips a bit. So I will say I am a bit biased now. I have also owned a 94 pathfinder in the past (pleased) , and a 96 blazer (not impressed.)

I was steering my wife to consider a 100 series land crusier instead, maybe a 4runner (which she has already owned) but can't convince her past the bling attraction of the hummer.

So, please advice me on what to look out for if we look for a 06 used model with few miles.
I've read reviews on the 06 model as being a bit sluggish, which the 07 higher capacity engine addresses quite well.

Pros and cons of buying a hummer. Please be objective.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Default RE: to buy or not to buy

"diner" meant to say dinero: mucho dinero later

Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM

JEEP is a Chrysler product

Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 PM

"JEEP is a Chrysler product" I should have said an American Brand. I found one: Head problems.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM

5 adults and 2 dogs will be pretty tight.

Sounds like you area Toyota Fan.
The Land Cruiser is bigger for sure and so it's price.
There is a cylinder head issue on some of the early 2006 models.
The I5 in 2007 has more HP. In 2008 there will be a V8 Alpha version

I would recommend the Adventure and Lux Pacakge and get the sunroof.
I think the quality is great including the fit and finish.
The ride is wonderfull, gas mileage is good for what you get. It seems very stable on and off road.
Off road is where the H3 realy shines!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Our H3 was basically my wife's idea too. Regardless of the fact that I ama GM fan, I can still give you atotally objective and scientific answer:

Trust me on this one, you'll be much happier buying whatever your wife wants!

If you decide to "go for it" look for one with Monsoon sound system, trailer hitch, heated seats, and at least the Lux package. Exclusive Hummer only dealers will also give yougreat service experience so you really have nothing to worry about.Also, don't forget to wave back to other Hummer drivers since you are joining theteaminstead ofbuying just another truck!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: NJTEX

Our H3 was basically my wife's idea too. Regardless of the fact that I ama GM fan, I can still give you atotally objective and scientific answer:

Trust me on this one, you'll be much happier buying whatever your wife wants!
[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 PM

I like the adventure package due to it's locking rear diff. BTW, I had fun testing the H3 at Vegas. I forget where it was but for $10 or so you had a pick of 3 cars to drive, I took out the K3 on the off road course they had available.

I would imagine if we buy an 06, it is a gamble on the head and valve problem. If we do buy I will make sure to visit back more often. Maybe some H3 fans around the coachella valley can look me up and go on some rides locally (Joshua Tree)

Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM

here we go again....we all know jap cars NEVER need repair...hell I think most import dealers don't even have a service department...just have a jiffy lube for il changes

as far as buying a used 06 and having it be a gamble...there is a gamble on ANY used car you purchase..just the way of life. If it's a new leftover 06 your talking about then no, no real gamble...if it does have the head/valve issue it wil be repaired with the warrenty.

Can't convince the wife past the Bling factor of the h3....WTF does that mean...sounds like your just another troll. Don't be upset cause our h3's will out wheel your precious foreign POS trucks. Buy your littly yuppy landrover and be happy....leave the real trucks to guys/gals that know what to do with them.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 PM

Import Killer, you are funny. As far as used cars go yes they are a gamble. try bying a brand new jeep paying for $$ss in maintenance and having the engine blow up 80,000 miles into it. try also the rest of the bay components crapping out a few miles later. Wake up import killer, don't think the Hummers aren't bling? You obviously haven't spent time in LA.....Which by the way, the hip hop culture is ruinning the hardcore image of your rigs when they slap 24" inch rims on them...Hence "them rims are blinging" terms and such.

I'll pass on the land rover. for the same realibity reasons as other brands. Reliabilty stats do exist. they are out there.....

"Buy your littly yuppy landrover and be happy....leave the real trucks to guys/gals that know what to do with them." that is funy. I am sure the rest of the forum does not support that ignorant statement.

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy